5 Locations to Get a Great View of the Montreal Skyline

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

A skyline is to a city what a landmark is to a country. If it is pretty/interesting/quirky/intriguing enough, it will get locals and tourists from all over flocking to get a view. Well, whether you’re new to Montreal or if you’ve been here for a while, you have realized that Montreal’s skyline is eye-catching and breathtaking. Finding a place to get a good view of this skyline may be a daunting task, but don’t lose hope, there are many places to choose from as you settle into the semester.

1. Lachine Canal

The Lachine Canal is a good place to start if you don’t want to climb any stairs or travel too far for a view of Montreal’s skyline. The area provides a cozy atmosphere thanks to the  people jogging, walking, or simply talking all around you. So bring a blanket and a friend and head on down to the Lachine Canal to enjoy Montreal’s sights and sounds.

2. Bonsecours Basin Park

Head on over to the Old Port for the following two locations. The Bonsecours Basin Park will provide you with a great view of the concrete jungle. After that you can head on to the Bonsecours Market and do a little bit of shopping as you take in your surroundings.

3. Old Port- Clock Tower

If you’re up for the challenge, climbing up the Clock Tower in order to see the view will be well worth it. The stairs may make you question everything that is good and honorable in your life, but the view will ease those doubts. Don’t believe me? Head on over to the Old Port with your best athleisure outfit and see for yourself.

4. The Montréal Tower

If height isn’t a concern for you, consider heading to the Olympic Tower to get your view. Located in the east end of Montreal, this gem is often forgotten about by locals and unknown of to newcomers. At 165 metres, the Montréal Tower is the tallest inclined tower in the world. The view at the top is sure to leave you speechless. If heights aren’t your thing but you’re interested in architecture, come check out this tower as it leans at a 45 degree angle. This is a feat considering the Leaning Tower of Pisa’s tilt is 5 degrees!

5. Mount Royal Lookout

Of course this list would not be complete if the lookout at Mount Royal wasn’t mentioned. Bring a bottle of water with you because to get to this lookout, you will have to work for it. However, once at the top, you may just fall in love with the city (all over again). After the lookout, you may even explore other areas of the mountain to take in the views from different angles.

This list is definitely not exhaustive but the next time you’re taking a break from Netflix, consider getting outside, visiting these places, and making memories in this beautiful city.

Josie Fome is a graduate student in Journalism. She loves to read, write and enjoy the ocassional Netflix binge. She's quick to extend motivation and encouragement wherever needed. In her spare time, you can (try) to catch her sneaking onto rooftops for breathtaking skyline views.
Krystal Carty

Concordia CA '19

Krystal Carty is a second year journalism student and the founding member of the Concordia chapter of Her Campus. Her interests include drinking copious amounts of caffeine and spending as much time with her adorable rescue dog as possible. Krystal has a degree in sarcasm and a love for all things pop culture.