This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Concordia CA chapter.

With the holidays right around the corner, it’s always nice to snuggle up for a cozy movie night in. Below is a list of what I feel to be some of Netflix’s classic Christmas gems.

1. Four Christmases

Four Christmases is a modern Christmas movie classic. It has the perfect blend of comedy and drama. Couple Brad and Kate (played by Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon) are planning a tropical couples Christmas vacation until plans fall through and they are forced to visit their respective families’ four separate gatherings. While Brad cannot wait to escape the craziness of family and the holidays, during these four hectic christmases, Kate being to question the true meaning of love and family. This 2008 classic will have you hysterically laughing while getting you into the holiday spirit.

2. The Holiday

The Holiday is another excellent Christmas dramedy. This film tells the story of two women, English Iris (Kate Winslet) and L.A based Amanda (Cameron Diaz) who swap houses just a month before Christmas after Amanda breaks up with her boyfriend and Iris wants to get away from her manipulative ex boyfriend/co-worker. Yet, a turn of fate hits when both women meet some more than eligible bachelors, showing how you find the holiday spirit no matter where you travel.

3. Love Actually

Arguably one of the most popular Christmas-themed films, this movie follows the seemly distant, but highly interconnected stories of eight couples, seeking to highlight how love connects us all.  Some of the storylines are of British Prime Minister David, who is falling for his junior staff member, and graphic designer Sarah, who tries to balance her love life with taking care of her mentally ill brother. Although not all storylines follow the traditional romantic notions of holiday movies, the messages shared in Love Actually shares the ups and downs, highs and lows of the reality of how we love another.

4. Angel of Christmas

I stumbled upon this movie last year and was immediately hooked. Susan, a writer for a newspaper is given her big break when her boss has her write a Christmas themed piece about her great-grandfather’s handcrafted angel heirloom; in order to inspire the magical nature of the holidays.

As Susan  gathers research about this angel, she realizes that her own family’s romantic complications have direct parallels with her own. Through the film, the angel becomes a source of moral guidance for her as she navigates her article and faces her own past.

5. Bad Santa

Last, but certainly not least, comes the holidays darkest Christmas/crime comedy. The movie stars Billy Bob Thornton as Willie, a bitter and angry mall Santa and Tony Cox who plays his partner in crime Marcus  who get together once a year to essentially steal from shopping outlets during the holidays. Along the way, Willie meets a young boy named Thurman, who helps to change his negative outlook on the meaning of Christmas.

Faith Orr

Concordia CA '19

Faith Orr is a Campus Correspondent at Concordia University in Montreal. She is in her final year of studies, specializing in French to English Translation with a minor Women’s Studies. She is originally from a small farming town in Vermont, U.S. but has planted her new roots in Montreal. She has a passion for feminism and LGBTQ activism. In her free time, Faith enjoys studying astrology (#TeamVirgo) and learning about holistic health and medicine.
Kami Katopodis

Concordia CA '19

President of HC Concordia • Poet • Major in Human Relations • Minor in Diversity in the Contemporary World •