Who is Tia Love?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.
Tia Love is truely a strong woman with a story to tell. After a stint of homelessness and lack of money to continue with school, she’s back on top. She prides herself on helping others and having a positive and bright outlook on life. She’s definetly an example of what HerCampus is all about. We’ve featured Tia’s women’s support group and different projects she’s worked on around campus, but here’s a look into her life and who Tia Love is. 

1. Tell me a little about yourself. Why did you chose Columbia?

Well I started attending Columbia at the age of 17. I graduated a year early in high school and wanted to attend UCLA to study biology to get into the medical program there. But, my mom was worried about me traveling so far away at a young age so I decided to opt to the next best thing in my life, and that was to study dance. In my second year of college, I changed to the music business program because I wanted to know more about music. Dancing comes natural to me and I decided that music goes hand-in-hand with dance so I wasn’t losing out on anything. From there I continued to study music business, took a break from school and back in full force to get my degree.

2. How did you come to start Rushed? What was the idea behind the group?

The idea Rushed, Women Rushed into Womanhood, came to mind when I had to leave Columbia in summer 09 because of lack of funds. Once I left campus, I didn’t have a stable place to stay, no job, etc. I was really going through tough times in my spring sem. in 09 which consisted to stay that way for a while. I felt all alone and didn’t want to talk about my situation much because I realized when I needed help the most, people who I thought I could really trust and depend on weren’t there. So I finally had the courage and trusted in my faith to get me to the next step to accepting my present situation and moving forward to get out of it. Once I was comfortable, I started talking to other women and hearing that they were also going through problems and felt like they couldn’t talk to anyone. So one day on my alone time, the thought came to have a woman’s support group. Then the thought and the vision executed from there. Now we are 1 year strong, a handful of stable members, and many supporters of the organization.

3. What other activities are you involved in?

Well, I like to volunteer my time (when I can) to give back to the community. I tend to put in my volunteer services at the Little Black Pearl Workshop, the Hyde Park Community, and around Columbia’s Campus. I try to step out on my own (career wise) to produce events in the music business industry for local artist. I’m a huge supporter of the arts community. My hobbies consist of as painting, writing Rambles (poetry), dancing, cooking, and now photography. I even give my $2 or $3 to those hip hop artist who sell their Cd’s downtown to show my support for the “up and coming” artists in the Chi.

4. Can you tell me about the event you’re having at Little Black Pearl Workshop?

Well right now, I’m organizing a 1yr anniversary for Rushed at the Little Black Pearl. Since this support group is about the bettering of a woman, I want to show the different artistic ways women express themselves through all forms of art: painting, photography, sculpting, etc. We recently held a contest for our members to submit a short essay on how they felt they were Rushed and the winner wins a personal photo shoot, their essay submitted with our sister magazine, and an hour long body massage. The winner will also have some of her photos displayed from the photo shoot in our one night only gala. But, due to some minor difficulties, the event date is now TBD.

5. What’s your life goal?

My life goal is to ultimately become a doctor. I’ve wanted to become a doctor since I was 4yrs old. I know many people ask why I didn’t study biology or something in Chicago, and the answer to that is…I want it all! I want to be well rounded in all my gifts and talents and I don’t want to settle at a young age. By the time I’m 35, I can say that I’ve done everything my heart has beat for and that is dancing, the arts, music, and finally helping the ill. I’m young, vibrant, and 21….what can I lose? I’ve been through so much while in college and I feel that nothing can stop me from reaching my goals. Some can say how do I still push after being homeless, no food, no job and still put a smile on my face? It’s because I keep faith, and my faith has brought me through it all and is still keeping me. I’m better off now than I was a year and a half ago and I’m grateful.

6. Is there anything you would like to add?

The struggle isn’t completely over, but the burden in my life right now is lighter. I just want to encourage other people out there by telling them my story and not giving up. When you wake up, your life may not be where you want it to be, just do the best you can. As much as I gave up on myself, there was and still is something in me that says, “You have a little more fight in you so keep fighting.” That feeling alone pushes me to the next day. So to all the undergrads, super seniors and graduate, stay fighting, because there is still a little more fight in you!

Shardae is a senior journalism major and honor student at Columbia College Chicago, class of 2011. Born and raised on the South Side of Chicago, Shardae considers Lake Michigan and its surrounding land to be her "backyard." In addition to being a Campus Corresponent for HerCampus.com, she's an Assistant Campus Editor for The Chronicle, Columbia's newspaper.  She also writes for Gloss Magazine Online and is also an intern for Special K at 103.5 Kiss FM. Shardae is an avid reader of celebrity gossip blogs, and believes news is just organized gossip. She is also the mother of a one-year-old daughter and would like to show other young women that all the above can be achieved. Shardae is extremely excited about graduation next spring, and plans to wear her cap and gown for an entire 24-hours after the ceremony. Her favorite thing to do is eat and her passion is writing, she hopes to one day work for Food Network magazine.