This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Not to be that person…. but you should listen to this podcast… I’m joking. Not really, you should listen to my podcast. Or any podcasts for that matter because podcasts are a great way to fill your brain with random knowledge or murder mysteries or hilarious commentary. If I had a dollar for everytime someone said “listen to _____” and I responded “I’ll check it out!” having already forgotten the title, I’d be rich.

After listening to a collection of different podcasts I have decided to share my list of favorites, not because it’s the best list, but because it’s a list that you may enjoy and that’s what counts.

1. Tiny Meet Gang podcast. If you loved vine as much as me then maybe you remember Cody Ko and Noel Miller. These two are just hilarious and you can easily listen to them without realizing an hour has passed. Pop culture comedy commentary. The two of them are great, definitely give them a listen.    

Best for: Long drives where you go through miles of cornfields and wonder who lives out there.

2. TED Radio Hour. I’m constantly craving knowledge and new ideas and perspectives and TED radio hour does a great job of compiling multiple from different podcasts into one central theme. These talks are something that I hold close to my heart. This was the first podcast that I listened to and almost three years later I’m still listening. Flexing my brain with all sorts of interesting opinions is my favorite thing to do on the EL when I become increasingly aware that we’re floating on a rock in space.

Best for: Morning commutes when you need to restore your faith in humanity.

3. Harry Potter and the Sacred Text. Basically, a literature class that you don’t want to miss. The host goes through each chapter of the Harry Potter books and identifies themes and big questions you might not have thought to ask upon your first read through. I don’t really know that I need to convince you to listen to this. You either like Harry Potter or you don’t care, but if you like dissecting why words are used the way they are this is a good podcast to do that with.  

Best for: When you remember you haven’t read a book for fun in ages.

4. Welcome to NightVale. This is a series to fuel ideas or maybe nightmares, but nonetheless, it’s endlessly imaginative. “This is a twice-monthly podcast in the style of community updates for the small desert town of Night Vale, featuring local weather, news, announcements from the Sheriff’s Secret Police, mysterious lights in the night sky, dark hooded figures with unknowable powers, and cultural events. Turn on your radio and hide.” That’s what their website says anyway. I’ve found it’s difficult to explain other than creepy creative goodness.

Best for: When you need some creative juice.

5. Stuff You Missed in History Class. I’m a history lover and there is so much we missed in class. History has so many sides and perspectives and stories to tell. Like how gum was invented and why we have certain traffic laws and why the drinking age is 21 in America. For me, at least, it’s all incredibly interesting and I find that a lot of teachers suck at teaching history. This isn’t your professor droning on and on, it’s random parts of history just to store in your brain. Maybe I’m just a nerd.

Best for: When you’re bored and music just isn’t doing it.

6. KAT Talk. Ok, shameless plug but this is my podcast. It kind of goes like this: anyone can make a podcast, but not everyone should. I say that because it’s a lot more work than it leads on to be. As the producer and host, I’m a little biased, but I think our comedy commentary on life, pop culture, and strange questions are pretty good. If you’re Chicago based you may even hear about locations you know of. We’re still getting the hang of it but so far so good. If you want to check us out on Soundcloud and Itunes.

Best for: morning commutes when you’re going to your boring class.

Honorable mentions: Serial, STown, Today Explained

Kara Middleton

Columbia Chicago

Hello, My name is Kara!
Briana Kennedy

Columbia Chicago '19

I am a Columbia College Chicago student majoring in Advertising and double minoring in Marketing and Social Media & Digital Strategy. I am currently a strategy intern for Fusion92. In my free time, I enjoy reading, running, watching Netflix, exploring Chicago, and finding the cutest coffee shops.