Taylor Swift’s ‘ME!’ Pushes Bubbly Pop Influences and Reminds Fans She Doesn’t Care About the Haters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Taylor Swift’s new song premiered at midnight April 26 as fans waited up all night for her to release something. Anything. The song is called “ME!” and was accompanied by a music video. A bright and colorful fantasy.

Panic! At the Disco frontman Brendon Urie plays the part of Taylor’s lover? Boyfriend? Husband? The video begins with a snake slithering across a multi-colored cobblestone street followed by the two of them arguing in French—and in beautiful clothing. Taylor wears a ball gown that has a white tulle skirt with flowers and a black deep v-neck. Her hair is perfectly curled ‘50s style; of course, Taylor can wear her hair any way, and it will look perfect.

Urie then tells Taylor to “calm down,” and she says they shouldn’t argue around their two young daughters—their daughters, meaning the two kittens lounging on their couch. Then, before storming out of the room, Taylor yells that she is calm. Ugh. Men! This sets the scene for the video and the song. Relationships. Hardships in relationships. Not feeling appreciated or that you are enough (even though you know you are).

As soon as Taylor exits the room, she turns to the camera, and—in sort of an erie echo, the same way “Delicate” begins—the song begins with the words, “I promise that you’ll never find another like me.” Taylor looks..like she is up to something from that point on. She struts down the hallway and then out of the house with a grin on her face and an expression that exudes confidence. She knows there will never be anyone like her.

She then sings, “I know that I’m a hair pull, baby, uh. You know I never think before I jump. And you’re the kind of guy the ladies want (and there’s a lot of cool chicks out there).” The beat is softer, like the slow drumming of a marching band song, or something. As a Taylor Swift-song-listener-and-appreciator (not quite a die-hard fan), this is the formula she often uses to build up to the next part of the song that is going to be brighter, wilder, louder, more of the new-and-exciting-Taylor. It seems with each album, she strays further and further from her country roots. RIP “Fifteen.”

The party moves outside to those same cobblestone streets, where Taylor continues to sing: “But one of these things is not like the other.” The chorus starts and repeats the same words. He’ll never find another like her, which is true. But the chorus feels maybe a bit too bubbly pop for Taylor.

OK, her last album was very pop-influenced compared to those from her country years, but the chorus to “ME!” almost feels like one of Katy Perry’s singles. It’s like a party that’s all about celebration and friendship and love. “Reputation” was so much darker. The songs overall had more intensity. They pulled out this weird part in me I didn’t know existed. Like the part that urges me to paint on thick winged eyeliner every morning and wear all black clothing. But this song didn’t do that for me. It was almost too precious in a generic way.

Though, the first minute of the video got me excited about the power Taylor seems to have gained over the years; this feeling that she really can do whatever she wants and have no consequences for it. She honestly doesn’t care what anyone says, and she thrives off of her haters. They have no power over her. This is the anthem she seems to have repeated over the years, but now, I think, it’s actually true. So beyond true.

Brendon then gets his part in the song to switch things up from a semi-repetitive chorus, and he sings, “I know I tend to make it about me,” and then some other words. He sings, “One of these things is not like the other.” He’s now, again…making it about himself. Just like he said! This is Taylor’s song, therefore the song is about her, not you, Brendon. Though, especially upon first listen, I was captivated by his voice. He has the voice of a pop-punk angel—devil? It’s rough and edgy, which brings an interesting to the song.

In general, Taylor’s exaggerated facial expressions and movements always make me swoon. Other than the fact she is a literal queen existing on this planet of peasants, the video is entertaining. The visuals are all pastel and rainbow-colored.

At one point in the video, Brendon and Taylor dance around on an orange over-exaggerated  ‘60s mod-themed stage, and they both wear shades of pink/red, probably symbolizing love and the fact they are happy together again. But that was after he followed her through town and onto the edge of a unicorn-shaped rooftop—where she was probably contemplating the fact that men ain’t shit—where he offered her another kitten. Cats run the world! You’ve seen “Captain Marvel.” You know.

What follows is more colors, more themed scenes where the two of them dance around together, sometimes with umbrellas, which apparently was inspired by Mary Poppins. It’s a wholesome video filled with chivalry and Taylor getting what she deserves and being treated like the queen she is. By the end of the video, Brendon understands he was wrong, and she was right. He will never find another like her.

Back off haters. Taylor has done it yet again.

Eden Bunna

Columbia Chicago '19

copy editor at The Chronicle / music, entertainment, art, fashion writer & journalist /
Melanie Medrano

Columbia Chicago '21

A music-enthused entertainment journalist who wants to share her voice with the world - one article at a time.