This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

You’ve heard every person in your life say something along the lines of “I’ll just listen to any music, I’m not picky” or “my music taste is really all over the place” or other quirky and relatable things like that. I’m no different. My music taste includes the weirdest songs (along with the typical One Direction, which you can’t really go wrong with) I can find. My first year of school in Chicago has only broadened my strange music palate. I’ve come to tell you about music you need to add to your tunes this spring! Some are old, some are new, and all are unique!

“The Prawn Song” – Superorganism

Think modern day No Doubt. I guess technically it could be classified as alternate pop, but honestly I think this band and this song should have their own genre of music. The best word I can use to describe this song is kooky. If you watch them perform it live, every single noise is created with random objects. The water sounds are created by hands splashing in a bucket of water, clown car horns, slurpee straws, and stomping shoes. The song is creative and it is an absolute bop.

“Sunday Candy” – Donnie Trumpet and the Social Experiment

Nothing makes me feel like it’s a happy spring morning like this song. Bet you didn’t know Chance the Rapper had more music, but he does! He’s apart of this group. It’s a perfect mix of rap, spoken poetry, jazz, and pop. If you enjoy Rex Orange County or Chance, then this is the perfect group and song for you to listen to!

Hadestown

This one is for any Broadway musical fans out there like myself. I can’t even pick a single song to recommend because the musical in its entirety is stunning and is a must for theatre fans. It tells the story of Orpheus and Eurydice’s love story through jazzy orchestral pieces and stunning chords from the ensemble.

“Boxes and Squares” – Tank and the Bangas

I like to describe Tank and the Bangas as Beyonce if she were to have stayed in the south. It’s a half New Orleans style jazz, half modern rap and entirely fun. In this song she tells of a guy for not growing up and talks about how good his life could be if she were to be in it, but his time has passed.

“Bad Reputation” – Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

This is an oldie but a goodie. It’s in every single early 2000’s girl power movies and when you listen to it, it immediately puts you in that mood. It’s a girl rock song and the perfect mood for driving around this spring with the windows down!

So there are 5 songs to add to your playlist! Use this spring to widen your music taste and keep bopping along!

Merry Marshall

Columbia Chicago '22

Merry Marshall is a sophomore Musical Theatre major and is always itching to write about something she's passionate about. She loves her home state of Colorado but has fallen in love with the city-vibes of Chicago. She claims to be an expert on traveling and relationship advice. Her interests include sex positivity, Grey's Anatomy, and long walks on the beach (or whatever you call what we see Lake Michigan from).
Ally Stegman

Columbia Chicago '21

aspiring magazine writer with a passion for pop culture and fashion