This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

It’s pitch black and a warm light peaks through the left side of the set. Almost like a sunrise. The ligh slowly makes its way to center stage igniting 10 dancers surrounding the beauty and fashion mogul, Robyn Rihanna Fenty.

As the light sets on stage, the women are illuminated by a golden hue as the opening number begins and welcomes you to Savage x Fenty. 

Multi-platinum selling artist, Rihanna has single-handedly reinvented the fashion and beauty world as we know it. She tapped into her musical roots and extended her legacy into the beauty and fashion industry and changed the game. 

New York  Fashion Week is a highly anticipated event, but this year was by far one of the most innovative seasons I’ve ever seen. From Zendaya x Tommy Hilfiger’s 70’s inspired collection to Christian Sirano who never fails to experiment with high impact hues, and most importantly Ms. Rihanna. 

She blew the audience away last year at her debut Savage x Fenty show and this year was bigger and better and changed the way we view fashion shows. 

The show was more than the fashion, she incorporated live movement. Reoccuring performances from dance crew Royal Family, accompanied by a handful of other well-renowned dancers. I mean Rihanna herself was in the opening number! Can you name another designer that has opened their show? Because I can’t. 

Diversity is an understatement when it comes to the casting of this show. Showcasing that people of all shapes and sizes, and skin tones can feel sweet, sexy and savage in their lingerie. 

It’s also important that we recognize that Rihanna is one of the few designers that present items that are obtainable to the vast majority.

If you keep up with fashion news you’ll know she recently launched her luxury clothing brand, FENTY, under the LVMH luxury goods conglomerate. She could’ve easily done a fashion show representing that brand, but she chose to captivate the story of everyday people. 

It was breathtaking. 

She featured stars such as Normani, Big Sean, 21 Savage, Cara Delevingne, Joan Smalls, Laverne Cox, the Hadid sisters and more.  

Women’s Wear Daily reported live from the show that, “Rihanna’s collection was  ‘empowering, entertaining, provocative and sexy,’ showing how a lingerie brand can put on a successful show in the post #MeToo era.”

And I couldn’t agree more. We as women are powerful human beings who have become victims of being over-sexualized by society.

Take your power back and unleash your inner savage. 

Kendell Ryan

Columbia Chicago '20

LA girl bringing a west coast vibe to Chicago
Melanie Medrano

Columbia Chicago '21

A music-enthused entertainment journalist who wants to share her voice with the world - one article at a time.