This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Bohemian Rhapsody was the movie we didn’t know we needed to rejuvenate our cold souls. November rolled in and Bohemian Rhapsody definitely set the mood.

We follow bandmates Freddie Mercury (Rami Malek), Roger Taylor (Ben Hardy), Brian May (Gwilym Lee)and mister John Deacon (Joseph Mazzello, yes the kid from Jurassic Park) as they rock through the 70’s and beyond.

Image Credit: historyvshollywood

This movie wasn’t received well by critics. Bohemian Rhapsody is another film that hasn’t done well with the critics, like Venom earlier in October, but moviegoers don’t agree. Don’t let the critics sway your decision to go or not because they can’t seem to get it right this year. While it isn’t a perfect film, I would argue it’s an important film. It showcased Queen’s struggle to make it big, their successes, Freddie’s struggle with his sexuality and later his coping when he is diagnosed with AIDs. It gives viewers a relief from the chaotic world outside of the theater, transporting us back to the age of rock and roll. While parts of Queen’s story are dramatized more for the purpose of the flow of the film, they nail other elements right on the head. Freddie’s love for his cats, his unique love for Mary, Freddie Mercury’s teeth, the costumes, and that epic Live Aid performance- arguably one of the greatest performances of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A22oy8dFjqc

Fun fact: they made up the character Ray Foster to be played by Mike Myers who says “No teens are going to listen to Bohemian Rhapsody and bang their heads.” Which, obviously, his character in Wayne’s World does precisely that.

Image credit:  Images

Another aspect that the film nails is how much the members of Queen fought with each other. They were truly a band of brother constantly bickering and hammering it out with each other. Each member of Queen was not only a master of their instruments, but they were also highly intelligent men. Freddie Mercury had a degree in Art & Graphic Design, Roger Taylor a degree in Biology, John Deacon Electronics and Brian May a degree in Astrophysics (& recently completed his doctorate after a 30-year hiatus).

Image credit: Images

Queen was and still is the work of legends, pumping out hit after hit and engaging with the crowd in ways they’d never seen before. Bohemian Rhapsody does an excellent job of making you feel like you’re part of the decade and the band that rocked the airways like no other, I challenge you to see it and not sing along.

Kara Middleton

Columbia Chicago

Hello, My name is Kara!
Tory Appel

Columbia Chicago

Hello! My name is Tory Appel and I am a student at Columbia College Chicago studying advertising and photography. I am also working at 101.9 the Mix and 100.3 WSHE as a Promotional Assistant, and I'm loving every minute of it! In my free time I like to take portraits, read, and watch scary movies.