Oscars 2019 Present Inclusivity, Diversity and Rising Talent

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

The 2019 Oscars were glamorous, indeed. The fashion, the looks worn by celebrities and nominees were fresh, interesting and, some, over the top. Awards being won by diverse individuals and films throughout the night was certainly the most significant win for any awards season, and many of the recipients were truly deserving and proved the change in pace for awards season. Here are a few applauded and influential winners as well as up-and-comers from the Feb. 24 Academy Awards.

“Roma” won the awards for Cinematography, Directing and Foreign Language Film; “Black Panther” won the awards for Costume Design, Music (Original Score) and Production Design; and “BlacKkKlansman” won the award for Writing (Adapted Screenplay). Each one of these wins was a huge feat for the entertainment industry (and Spike Lee, tbh) as a whole for the sole fact that such diverse works (and people responsible for the wins) dominated multiple, and most, major categories. While none of the films took home Best Picture, they paved the way for more diverse films to be major award winners at future Oscars Awards.

Courtesy of Giphy.com.

*Spike Lee accepting his first Oscar Award for “BlacKkKlansman.”

After his performance as Freddie Mercury in “Bohemian Rhapsody,” Rami Malek took home the Oscar Award for Actor in a Leading Role. Four days later on Feb. 27, he was reported to be in final negotiations to play the next villain in the upcoming “Bond 25.” Before playing Freddy, Malek was known for his role in Mr. Robot, but wasn’t seen much other than that. This win was a surprise—the first Egyptian-American win for lead actor award—and an exciting feat for the up-and-comer, and we should definitely be on the lookout for what he might have planned next.

Courtesy of Entertainment Tonight.

Both awards for Supporting Roles were won by people of color. Regina King, “If Beale Street Could Talk,” and Mahershala Ali, “Green Book,” rightfully took home their awards and further proved the obvious that more POC should be starring in movies. I think we are all tired of seeing the same people win major awards (cough, “Green Book,” cough), so here is hoping next year POC will win Actor and Actress in a Leading Role, rather than have the Academy settle for that supporting role. The industry desperately needs the diversity—I mean, look at all the talent!

Courtesy Giphy.com.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Lady Gaga appeared in another major movie in the near future. After reaping the benefits of “A Star Is Born’s” “Shallow” winning the Oscar Award for Music (Original Song), Gaga was officially the first woman to win all five major awards in one season—that’s the Golden Globes, Critics’ Choice, the Grammys, British Academy of Film and Television Arts and the Oscars. Can’t wait to see what she does next.

Courtesy of Giphy.com.

A significant portion of this year’s awards were rightfully given to actors and movies that have been overlooked for all of the history of the industry. The 2019 Oscars was a breath of fresh air in being able to witness, one after another—women and men of color, especially—impactful, powerful films and talented individuals being declared number one, and I am eager to see what these winners are going to do next.

Eden Bunna

Columbia Chicago '19

copy editor at The Chronicle / music, entertainment, art, fashion writer & journalist /
Melanie Medrano

Columbia Chicago '21

A music-enthused entertainment journalist who wants to share her voice with the world - one article at a time.