Must-Do’s for Chicagoans This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Even though it’s a bummer when the weather gets colder- whenever that happens this year- Chicago does a pretty good job at making us want to get out of our fleece onesies and take on the extra Windy City. Here is a list of everything worth leaving your body pillow for. 

Ice Skating in Millennium Park- November 13th through March 6th

Even if you do this every year, it’s always fun to get a group of friends and fall on your *ss a few dozen times. You don’t even have to take off your onesie. The more wrapped up you are the less you feel the fall. Usually lines are over an hour long, especially if you have to rent skates, but don’t worry, the new rink at the Maggie Daley Park opens on November 14th and the rink at Lincoln Park Zoo opens on the 27th! 

Miley Cyrus Concert- November 19th- Riviera Theatre

Everyone has their own opinions about Miley, but I think everyone can agree that she puts on an interesting show. Plus, it’s an open opportunity for anyone who wants to see her naked. 

Christkindlmarket- November 20th through December 24th- Daley Plaza

The Christkindlmarket is good for food, chocolate, and very unique gifts. You can get anything there from hot chocolate to ornaments or even a puppet if you need a new friend. There are so many vendors there that sell all kinds of different handmade decorations, but let’s be real, the food is the best part. 

Magnificent Mile Lights Festival- November 21st

A tradition that is well worth the hours spent standing in the cold. Just make sure to pee before you go and don’t drink anything after that. 

Official Tree Lighting Ceremony- November 24th- Millennium Park

After 48 years, this tradition is moving to a new spot in Millenium Park to add to the holiday spirit that the ice rink and Caroling at Cloud Gate(“The Bean”) bring. It starts at 6pm so don’t be late! Fun fact: The tree was donated by a suburban family, it’s 67 years old and weighs 9,700 pounds. 

Thanksgiving Parade- November 26th- State St.

Yet another tradition that everyone should be a part of at least once (or six times). Get there as early as you can and set up shop so you don’t lose your spot. Alcohol, food, and ten layers of clothes are encouraged. 

Zoo Lights- November 27th through January 3rd- Lincoln Park Zoo

Let’s face it, the zoo is a summer thing but Lincoln Park Zoo makes it possible for us to be mesmorized by lights, gorillas, and reptiles with the occasional visit from Santa. How can we say no to that?! Tip: It’s ten times better if you go after you’ve had a bowl…of cereal. 

Twenty One Pilots Concert- December 3rd- Aragon Ballroom

Really any concert at the Aragon is worth going to. The venue is one of the oldest and nicest in Chicago, that place is just amazing. If you haven’t gone there you must go now, it’s just a plus that Twenty One Pilots are performing.

12 Bars of Xmas Bar Crawl (TBOX)- December 12th- Wrigleyville

12 bars, 12 hours, 50 bucks, and about 150,000 people. This is pretty much the event of the season for anyone who likes alcohol or Christmas, don’t let Santa down. 

B96 Jingle Bash- December 12th & the KISS FM Jingle Ball- December 16th- Allstate Arena

The competition continues with these annual concerts brought to you by the top radio stations in Chicago. Demi Lovato, 5 Seconds of Summer, Jason Derulo, Shawn Mendes, Pentatonix, Kygo, Omi, & Hailee Steinfeld will be performing for B96. Four days later 5 Seconds of Summer, Nick Jonas, Selena Gomez, Shawn Mendes, Tovelo, Charlie Puth, Hailee Steinfeld, R City, Fifth Harmony, DNCE, & Conrad Swell will be performing for KISS FM. I’ll let you be the judge. 

Skrillex + Deadmau5- New Year’s Eve- Donald E Steven’s Convention Center

For those of you who are more into the EDM scene, this is an absolute must. Skrillex and Deadmau5 in the same place is bound to be nothing less than the best night of your life. Please roll responsibly. 

Chi-Town Rising- New Year’s Eve- Chicago River

For the first year ever Chicago is stepping up it’s NYE game and hosting an “epic” celebration along the Chicago River. Top artists will be on stages between Michigan and Columbus, and there is said to be a star dropping from a nearby building. Sound familiar? Let’s see if we can compete with the Big Apple. 

Kristina Vega

Columbia Chicago

I go to school in the great city of Chicago majoring in fashion business and marketing. I have had multiple jobs in retail and internships in event planning, wholesale, marketing, and blog writing. I love learning new things and going on adventures...&wine, I love wine.