This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Do you ever catch yourself thinking only to realize that those thoughts are impacting you in a negative way? You are aware that what you keep thinking about needs to be addressed, but you never take the time to address them.

As a little girl, I used to love the idea of having a journal. I always thought it was such a cute concept. I would start one and after a few days I would forget about it. I never thought as an almost adult, that having a journal would truly be the best therapy that I could ask for. As a college student trying to juggle every little aspect of my life, and being the paranoid person that I am, my mind would constantly be thinking about such deep topics. I would find myself thinking about: where I should be in life, where my career is going, If i’m going to get a job that I love, my breakup and my overall love life, which is definitely nonexistent at this moment.

I would find myself being so impacted by these thoughts, as though they are sucking the joy out of my life.

One day I decided to write what was going on through my head. It was the most liberating thing that I’ve ever done. I felt like all the intangible thoughts that were going on were not being addressed were finally settled. I felt like a weight was being lifted off my shoulder.

I have become obsessed with writing about just anything. I feel like when it comes to other people’s problems I am such a help and I am always the optimistic one in every situation. Yet, I always found it hard to do the same for myself. But, I was not afraid to do that in my journal, I felt like I had the right to do and say just about anything, because after all, it was my safe space, without anyone’s judgments. I found myself giving myself advice. This was a way for me to be there for myself 24/7, which I believe is the most important thing.

Journaling can be anything you want. It can be therapy through sketching, writing, scribbling or literally anything your own soul truly needs. Don’t be afraid to try because at the end of the day you are doing this for you!

Journaling can also be a way to manage your time. Without writing what I have to do I can honestly say I would’ve been insane! There is so much to keep up with and having to worry about what to do all the time is such a drain of energy. I find it so comforting to know that there is a spot in my journal that has the exact steps, assignments, appointments etc.!

As a little girl, I never had an actual reason to keep a  journal. But now, with so much life to keep up with, keeping a journal allows me to have the “rainbows and sunshine” state of mind that the little me always had.

Hala Abutaleb

Columbia Chicago '21

An aspiring interior designer looking forward to bringing a little more beauty into the world.
Ally Stegman

Columbia Chicago '21

aspiring magazine writer with a passion for pop culture and fashion