This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Cue Vanessa Hudgens “Sneaker Night” because that is all we’re going to be talking about today. I’m a simple girl who has way too many sneakers and I have no intentions on slowing down my shoe buying any time soon.

Sneakers and tennis shoes are a practical piece to have in any wardrobe, but the same two black or white shoes can be boring and bland. If you live a fast paced, on-the-go life like me, adding some flavor to your sneaker collection will do you right.

One of the most classic sneaker to have are Air Force 1’s (Shout out to Nelly). Retailing at $90, these sneakers are so simple, and yet, so iconic to the late 90’s early and 2000’s era. You can go with a high-top or low-top, whatever suits your style the best. And with an array of colors and combination to choose from the A1’s will probably never go out of style. Photo Courtesy: Jet Magazine

Sticking in the theme of Nike, AirMax’s have made a huge comeback  and have been making an impact on the urban fashion scene. AirMax 90’s to be specific retailing between $110-120. and  are similar in shape to the Air Force 1’s. However, the 90’s are a little more narrow around the toe. They are super comfortable and easy to throw on with any outfit. I myself own three  pairs of AirMax 90’s, and I’ll be honest, I’ve been tempted to buy a fourth. I have a nude-cream color, a suede blue and white pair and a suede purple and pink. My fourth, if I give in, will be all red to give me an extra pop of color for when I’m wanting to make a statement.

Photo Courtesy: We Heart It

Taking it back a little further to mid-late 90’s, Fila’s are also a brand that has made its way back and this time on the higher spectrum of fashion, retailing at $65. I remember when Fila’s were considered a budget brand and now celebrities are rocking the classic all white tennis shoe on their way to Starbucks. More on the chunky side, the shoe definitely gives traction while walking, so very practical if you’re on your feet all day. Also, now available in an array of color options you can choose from to fit your personal style.

Photo Courtesy: Tumblr

Similar to the Fila’s, Adidas recently dropped their ‘Falcon’ shoe. Promoted by Kylie Jenner, the shoe was an instant hit. Retailing at $100, the colorful and chunky shoe has made its impact on the fashion scene. Known for its color-blocking pattern the sneaker is bound to liven up your athleisure look in no time.

Photo Courtesy: Suede Store

Up-ing the price a bit, several major design houses are producing sneakers. Now that streetwear style is taking over mainstream fashion, dozens of celebrities and influencers are dropping a pretty penny to stay trendy. A popular shoe has been the Balenciaga runners retailing at about $770. Despite the insane price, these sneakers have been flying off the shelves. Along with Chanel sneakers retailing at $950. And of course, Yeeyz’s have yet to die out,  retailing between $350-550. Photo Courtesy: Pinterest, Pinterest

There are honestly a number of shoe brands that have amazing, stylish sneakers. And If my small sneaker haul didn’t influence you to go out and invest, maybe this buying tip will: If you can fit or know your youth size, the shoes are almost a fraction of the price.   

Thank me later! (Kisses)

Photo Courtesy: GIPHY

Kendell Ryan

Columbia Chicago '20

LA girl bringing a west coast vibe to Chicago
Melanie Medrano

Columbia Chicago '21

A music-enthused entertainment journalist who wants to share her voice with the world - one article at a time.