This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

I went to a haunted house drunk.

My friend from back home flew in town to celebrate her birthday. Given she’s an October baby, I wanted to take her to the spooky excursions around town. We’ve gone to haunted houses before, but we wanted to spice up the experience, try something new. Like getting drunk. 

We discovered this haunted house in Melrose Park that was quite the adventure. We hopped in our Uber blasting a cheetah girls playlist as we drank Strawbe-Rita’s like they were lemonade. 

As we pulled up we were surrounded by a much younger crowd than we expected, but we made the most of it. 

If you can handle it, 10/10 would recommend. Being drunk enhanced the experience x10 and we all had the best experience ever. 

When walking through one maze, the strobe lights were surrounding us as a gory figure popped in and out from the wooden barricade. 

We found ourselves entering an inflated black enclosure that guided us to an elevated bridge that ultimately led us to create a pile-up of bodies. In other words, we all ate shit.  

The effects in the maze were vivid and realistic, and the anticipation of what or who was going to jump out next got my heart racing, in a good way.

Being drunk made getting scared so much more exhilarating. I had a blast knowing I was surrounded by friends that I trust and who know how to have a good time. 

Throughout the night we made a lot of lasting connections with local high schoolers. I woke up to about 10 new followers and my friend woke up to text messages and doesn’t quite remember how or why she has the phone number. Ahh, sweet memories. 

The night was a huge success. 

As a disclaimer, if you choose to try this, drink responsibly and know your limits. You don’t have to be belligerent to have a good time, but a good tipsy would do the trick. 

So grab your girlfriends and go get spooky! 

Kendell Ryan

Columbia Chicago '20

LA girl bringing a west coast vibe to Chicago