This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

As the semester comes to an end and break comes around the corner (*tears of happiness*), we tend to get a little on the lazy side. At times, that’s okay. We definitely deserve it after hours and hours of stress during the semester. However, once the next semester rolls around, it feels like a slap in the face and we’re rushing to get back into routine. Below, I’ve put together a list of things to do during winter break to stay productive instead of sleeping the day away.

Exercise

I know this is basic and sounds like a chore, but it really does help. Finding at least three days out of the week to exercise (even if it’s just for 20-30 minutes) can really boost your health and your energy. You’ll feel less inclined to want to go to bed, and you’ll get a deeper sleep at night.

​Create a Sleep Routine

Try your best to go to sleep at a specific time at night and wake up at a specific time in the morning. Even if you can’t go to sleep right away, just being in your bed with the lights off at a decent time will make a change. Doing so will help you not to sleep in and not to stay up until you see the sun rising. Plus, it makes it easier when the following semester starts up.

​Drink Water

Water, water, water, water. Drink it. Force it to become your best friend. I cannot begin to list all of the benefits water has on your body. Face will clear up, hair will look healthier, you will feel different in all the right ways.

Read

Remember in elementary and middle school when we would have the reading marathons? And you could come in wearing pajamas and bring snacks, and sometimes the teachers would bring hot chocolate? Spending the entire day reading your favorite book(s). Those were the days I looked forward to the most; I felt so calm and relaxed. Who’s to say we can’t do that now? During break read a few pages every day. Or take a day and create your own little reading marathon. Bring the nostalgia back.

Meditation/Yoga

Personally, I’ve never truly stuck with meditating or doing yoga. However, when I do it, I feel more relaxed and positive. I tend to feel happier. Follow yoga Youtube videos or listen to meditation audios, and see how it makes you feel.

Write in a Journal

Journaling has so many perks. I, oftentimes, have difficulty talking about what’s on my mind. This tends to lead to stress and anxiety and pessimism. It’s great to write out everything you’re thinking about, whether it’s good or bad. If they’re bad thoughts, at the end I like to list out different ways to change that.

Have Vegetarian Days

Before I continue, I am not a vegetarian. For those who are like me, I ask you to try and take a day or two out of the week to eat vegetarian meals. It won’t harm you to try and it forces you to eat more fruits and veggies!

Stay Tidy

Like everything else on this list, this should be a year round thing. Usually, I find it more difficult to keep my room (and life) neat during the school year. I feel so much better and more organized when I keep things tidy.

Log Out of Social Media

Shut it down! During break, the hours on social media skyrockets for me. When I’m on my phone, I feel less motivated to do anything else. By the end of the day, I feel bad for all of the things I didn’t do and wasted the day away. So, I implore you to take a break from social media and put the phone down for a few hours throughout the day.

Work on Optimism

I am an extremely pessimistic person; it gets a little out of hand. Unfortunately, this tends to hold me back. Lately, I’ve been working on being more positive and it really boosts my self-esteem. Every day, write a happy sentence, say something positive about yourself, look in the mirror and smile!

Get Fresh Air

Living in the midwest, casually going outside and getting fresh air during winter break can be tricky. Sometimes, we get lucky and the sun shines through. On these days, go outside and just breathe, even if it’s just for a minute or two.

Try Something New

Is there a museum you’ve wanted to go to? A new store you’ve been wanting to check out? A restaurant you’ve been craving to try? Never been to the Zoo Lights? Whether it’s going to a new location or baking homemade cookies for the first time, try it. Experience is key to happiness.

Prep for Next Semester

Near the end of break (*sad tears*), start preparing yourself for classes. Go to bed earlier, wake up earlier, gather school supplies, familiarize yourself with your schedule and the locations of your classes. This will help ease you into the next semester and feel less stressed.

Treat Yourself

Life is hard, school is hard, lemons are always thrown at your face. I know, I’ve been there, and I’m still there. So it’s okay to treat yourself! Buy those pair of shoes you’ve been eyeing and treat your tastebuds with ice cream or chocolate. It’s okay to pamper yourself. You’ve worked hard and you deserve it.

Aley Blanchard

Columbia Chicago '21

Just a Michigan girl in an Illinois world. Currently a student at Columbia College Chicago, majoring in interior architecture. Go Blue!
Melanie Medrano

Columbia Chicago '21

A music-enthused entertainment journalist who wants to share her voice with the world - one article at a time.