How to Pull a Successful End of Semester All Nighter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Don’t plan it ahead of time​

Courtesy of Giphy

OK so I know this sounds super bizarre but I’m serious DON’T PLAN IT! If you know you plan to do you’ll dread it and spend the entire night thinking about how you would rather be doing literally anything else, and even more so sleeping. Just let the spontaneous productivity flow out of you.

But plan a few hours in advance​

Courtesy of Giphy

Listen, I know I just told you not to plan it but let’s be real you kinda gotta plan it. You have to have time for getting supplies, silly.

Stock up​

Courtesy of Giphy

You’ll need the classics coffee, monster, red bull you know the drill: caffeine it up.

Don’t forget the snacks​

Courtesy of Giphy

You’re gonna get hungry! While using all that brain power you’re gonna need to refuel. But skip the junk and large meals, they’ll only make you sleep which is not what you need. So instead opt for small and nourishing things to curve your appetite.

Set up your workstation

Courtesy of Giphy

Make sure you have all you need for the world’s most intense study sesh. Meaning have your books, laptop, charges, notebook and all in between. Stopping to collect supplies will only distract you.

Find a buddy

Courtesy of Giphy

If you have a friend crazy enough to pull an all with you, even better. Keeping each other on track and from the inevitable distractions will make the night way less painful.

Do have fun​

Courtesy of Giphy

You’re still human and a machine, you’re gonna need breaks. If you have a friend just chat about totally non-school related things. If you’re alone, have a dance party, watch a YouTube video, or do something that makes you happy.

Know your limits​

Courtesy of Giphy

At the end of the day, your sanity is more important than any grade will ever. There’s so much more to life and no grade will ever define you.

And finally, rest up​

Courtesy of Giphy

You’re done you did it!! Now just get through the rest of the day and hit the hay early, you deserve it.

Kaci Watt

Columbia Chicago '21

Hey I'm Kaci! I'm a sophomore journalism major and public relations minor who loves shopping, watching youtube, and writing!
Tory Appel

Columbia Chicago

Hello! My name is Tory Appel and I am a student at Columbia College Chicago studying advertising and photography. I am also working at 101.9 the Mix and 100.3 WSHE as a Promotional Assistant, and I'm loving every minute of it! In my free time I like to take portraits, read, and watch scary movies.