This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Last week, we announced the winner of the Rushed contest for Tia Love’s campus women’s group, Women Rushed into Womanhood. LaDonna Carter was chosen as the winner after she submitted a story about a situation she was rushed into. 

Here’s LaDonna’s story:

High Standards

When we are children we make plans for our own lives.  At this point is where we establish our standards.  A child is not aware of this event, of course.  Therefore, as we grow up and actually experience life, we tend to develop new standards if any at all.  Our values, or standards and goals in life make all the difference of how our lives will turn out.  

I set several unanticipated standards as a child and most of them stuck with me.  My main goals were to be successful, live in a big house, take care of my children, not be just a “baby-mama”– but a wife, and have a good man that has the same standards as myself or higher.  I had planned not to have kids until I was financially stable.  Having a child was not apart of my plan.  

Over the past year my standards remain the same but my plans have changed.  I am on the road to success, I live in an apartment that is clean and meet my standards, and I love to care for my 8-month-old son.  I am engaged and soon to be married. My fiancé loves his family as I do and works hard to achieve his goals.  However, my plan to not have children before I was financially stabled changed.  

What I have learned this year is that standards we set for ourselves remain unchanged because they are in our hearts and engrained in our brains.  We live our lives around our standards whether they are high or low.  So if we purposely set standards for ourselves it would be much easier to live for something.  Plans are called plans because they are subject to change.  Plans are short-term but standards we set for out lives are life-long.

Shardae is a senior journalism major and honor student at Columbia College Chicago, class of 2011. Born and raised on the South Side of Chicago, Shardae considers Lake Michigan and its surrounding land to be her "backyard." In addition to being a Campus Corresponent for HerCampus.com, she's an Assistant Campus Editor for The Chronicle, Columbia's newspaper.  She also writes for Gloss Magazine Online and is also an intern for Special K at 103.5 Kiss FM. Shardae is an avid reader of celebrity gossip blogs, and believes news is just organized gossip. She is also the mother of a one-year-old daughter and would like to show other young women that all the above can be achieved. Shardae is extremely excited about graduation next spring, and plans to wear her cap and gown for an entire 24-hours after the ceremony. Her favorite thing to do is eat and her passion is writing, she hopes to one day work for Food Network magazine.