This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Now that the weather is finally getting colder, we have more of an excuse to stay inside. One of the best activities for the fall and winter weather is curling up with a good book with a cup of coco and a blanket. I’ve compiled a short list of Her Campus CCC’s favorite books for you to check out on one of these chilly fall days.

Tory’s Pick: Life of Pi by Yann Martel

“The protagonist is Piscine Molitor “Pi” Patel, an Indian boy from Pondicherry who explores issues of spirituality and practicality from an early age. He survives 227 days after a shipwreck while stranded on a lifeboat in the Pacific Ocean with a Bengal tiger named Richard Parker”.

Briana’s Pick: How to be a Parisian Wherever You Are by Sophie Mas

Four badass French women give you lifestyle tips and advice all while recounting what they have learned about being French. They share with you top-notch advice about how they learned how to live like a French woman if you aren’t one. “From four stunning and accomplished French women — at last — a fresh and spirited take on what it really means to be a Parisienne: how they dress, entertain, have fun and attempt to behave themselves”.

Kaci’s Pick: The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

“The story primarily concerns the young and mysterious millionaire Jay Gatsby and his quixotic passion and obsession with the beautiful former debutante Daisy Buchanan. Considered to be Fitzgerald’s magnum opus, The Great Gatsby explores themes of decadence, idealism, resistance to change, social upheaval, and excess, creating a portrait of the Roaring Twenties that has been described as a cautionary tale regarding the American Dream”.

Melanie’s Pick: The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

“A coming of age story, the book details the conflict between two rival gangs divided by their socioeconomic status: the working-class “greasers” and the upper-class “Socs”. The story is told in first-person perspective by teenaged protagonist Ponyboy Curtis”.

Kara’s Pick: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

“The novel presents a future American society where books are outlawed and “firemen” burn any that are found. The book’s tagline explains the title: “Fahrenheit 451 – the temperature at which book paper catches fire, and burns…” The lead character is a fireman named Montag who becomes disillusioned with the role of censoring works and destroying knowledge, eventually quitting his job and joining a resistance group who memorize and share the world’s greatest literary and cultural works”.

Alexandra’s Pick: Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld

“Liz is a magazine writer in her thirties; her older sister Jane is a yoga instructor. They both live in New York City. Their father has a health scare and they return to their childhood home in Cincinnati to help, and find that the sprawling Tudor house they grew up in is falling apart just like their family.”.

If you have the time, seriously check out these books! Each book has a different style, and you are bound to find one that you will enjoy.

(all descriptions for the books came from Wikipedia)

Tory Appel

Columbia Chicago

Hello! My name is Tory Appel and I am a student at Columbia College Chicago studying advertising and photography. I am also working at 101.9 the Mix and 100.3 WSHE as a Promotional Assistant, and I'm loving every minute of it! In my free time I like to take portraits, read, and watch scary movies.