HC Music Video Review: Katy Perry “Part Of Me (Music Video),” Sony EMI Recordings 2012

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

The last person we would guess to be holding an M16 rifle while wearing (unflattering) camouflage would be cupcake-pop-princess Katy Perry. In her latest music video, the “California-Girl” ditches the blue wig for a boy cut and stands alongside actual US Marines, making a statement that women can be strong without a man. What a concept!

Distraught by her skeezy boyfriend, Perry unconvincingly throws a stack of paper at him while whimpering “I’m done!“ She then sees a sign that reads “All women are created equal. Then some become marines,“ which immediately inspires her to trade her stilettos for combat boots. It is hard not to feel a little jipped at this point–why does being cheated on now suddenly invoke the need to be equivalent to a man? Still, we have to give Perry some cred–staying clear of the fire-bra was a good decision since there is little desire to promote feminism in pop culture today (Perry, herself, being guilty at times.)

Once recruited to boot camp, Perry takes us on a full-force G.I. Jane montage of her pushing through marine obstacles. Aside from the lip gloss, Perry actually blends in with the rest of the troop. It’s admirable to see her break a sweat and make such a surprisingly powerful message—perhaps we’ve moved past sexualized pop-star music videos?

Nope.

The entire video goes down the tubes once she breaks the fourth wall and starts singing to the camera, twirling in circles underneath an American flag with glittery makeup on. Acknowledging there is an audience makes it feel like she was doing it all for show, forcing feminist qualities on her image. As soon as we thought we had advanced as a mature society, videos such as this practically parody the ideal world we could live in. So close, yet so far. But are we surprised?

Sir, no sir.

Photo credit: Hollywoodreporter.com

Mariah Craddick hails from the city of Atlanta and is currently a magazine journalism major at Columbia College of Chicago. Though she has a wide range of interests, her concentration and focus lies in fashion, art and entertainment. In addition to writing for HC, Mariah is also a contributing writer for the online lifestyle magazine GlossMagazineOnline. Upon graduation in 2013, Mariah hopes to pursue a career in magazine journalism and maybe even law school.