Giving More Than Just the Average Present

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

When I walked into my apartment building one night after a long day of classes, this is what I found sitting right next to the elevators. Hanging outside the building were light icicles, and a few feet away from this little house in the other corner was a Christmas tree with tons of decorations. I thought it was too cute how the management people decided to get in the Christmas spirit!

I did notice,  however, this little house was not just for decoration. As I looked inside to see if anything was there, I noticed cans of food! How appropriate! I remember having canned food drives when I was in middle and high school, and I thought it was amazingly generous and thoughtful for my apartment building to be doing this. Even though this photo was taken only a few days ago, I’m sure the house will be filled up in no time! I plan on making a contribution myself!

Jackson is a senior magazine journalism major at Columbia College Chicago, class of 2011. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, Jackson transferred to Columbia during his sophomore year and considers Chicago to be second home. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Columbia, Jackson also works as the copy chief for The Columbia Chronicle, Columbia's student-run newspaper, and at Echo, Columbia's student-run magazine, as the fact checking/copy chief and online editor. Jackson especially loves writing about the LGBTQ community and hopes to make it one of his specialities sometime in the future. While being a big believer in karma, Jackson always tries to surround himself with positive energy and positive people. A few of Jackson's favorite things: RuPaul's Drag Race, Family Guy, lemon-flavored Arizona iced tea and Chipotle.