Gender Fusions 7: The Super Queer-O Spectacle

Last semester, I wrote a story for Columbia’s Echo Magazine about people in the genderqueer community, and it turned out fantastic! It ended up as the cover story, and I was absolutely thrilled with the final product. More recently, during this past weekend, the coordinator at the office of LGBTQ Culture and Community for Columbia, K. Bradford, who was a huge help with finding people to talk to who identify as genderqueer, got in touch with me and invited me to Common Ground’s seventh annual Gender Fusions event in the 618 S. Michigan Ave. Building.

K. asked me if I would like to attend and possibly write a story for The Columbia Chronicle, Columbia’s student-run newspaper I work for, covering the Gender Fusions event. I was extremely honored and said I would love to! I arrived on April 16 with my recorder, notepad and pen in hand and camera ready to get my story! Overall, it was a wonderul event, and I loved the ‘Superhero Queer-O’ theme for this year. People were donning costumes, capes and masks, and the energy was positive and uplifting. The fierce spirit of the LGBTQ community in Chicago was definitely celebrated that night, and it was nice to see all types of gay people and gender identities coming together as one.

Jackson is a senior magazine journalism major at Columbia College Chicago, class of 2011. Originally from Cleveland, Ohio, Jackson transferred to Columbia during his sophomore year and considers Chicago to be second home. In addition to being a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Columbia, Jackson also works as the copy chief for The Columbia Chronicle, Columbia's student-run newspaper, and at Echo, Columbia's student-run magazine, as the fact checking/copy chief and online editor. Jackson especially loves writing about the LGBTQ community and hopes to make it one of his specialities sometime in the future. While being a big believer in karma, Jackson always tries to surround himself with positive energy and positive people. A few of Jackson's favorite things: RuPaul's Drag Race, Family Guy, lemon-flavored Arizona iced tea and Chipotle.