This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

As grateful as I am that Chicago Transit Authority has my back, my morning commute on the pink line to the Loop has made me incredibly irritable at the daily things I encounter. Whether it be going to work or to class, my patience is running much thinner at the things I see way too often.

From loud noises to inconsiderate passengers, don’t be that guy! Here’s what not to do on the CTA.

STOP PLAYING MUSIC OUT LOUD.

Listen, with the quality of those speakers I know you can afford headphones. No one wants to hear your music; especially early in the morning. It’s rude and irritating, and also it doesn’t even slap. Invest in some headphones and enjoy your faves in solitude like everyone else.

Please move your bag!

It’s really not that hard to rest your backpack or purse on your lap like the rest of us. People want to sit down on their long commute, not give up their seat to a book bag. Be more considerate!

Stop the man/woman spreading.

Yes, I’ve seen both, it’s not just the dudes anymore. I’ve had people scoff at me when I choose to sit down next to them and they have to reposition  their legs from taking up open space. Just let us sit down where we feel y’all.

Don’t block open seats!

If there’s an open seat directly in front of you and you choose to stand, please move out of the way! I can’t tell you how many times there’s a perfectly good seat being blocked by someone who’s standing.

STAND UP for seniors / people with disabilities.

I’ve seen many young and able-bodies stay put in the priority seating when an elderly person gets on either the bus or the train, and it’s really inconsiderate. Please be respectful of those who might need the seat more than others.

Please don’t rest your arms on mine.

I know you don’t know me well enough to have your arms touching mine the entirety of the ride. I get that we’re human, the train is bumpy and we might get pushed into each other but resting it on me like we know each other is an entirely different thing that I am NOT comfy with. I have my own personal bubble, let’s keep it intact.

Olivia Deloian

Columbia Chicago '20

My name is Olivia Deloian and I'm a journalism major at Columbia College Chicago with a focus in News and Features. I'll be graduating in May! I'm currently a production intern with ABC 7's show Windy City Live! A former intern with ABC 7's Consumer I-Team, and NBC 5 Chicago's Investigative Team. I'm also a former staff reporter and editorial leader at the Columbia Chronicle. I have a passion for writing and telling important stories. I'm a self-proclaimed fashionista, and I could spend all day talking about music and movies, and of course The Bachelor. Ask me what I'm listening to today. "Doing what you love is freedom. Loving what you do is happiness." -Lana Del Rey
Ally Stegman

Columbia Chicago '21

aspiring magazine writer with a passion for pop culture and fashion