This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Just because it’s cold outside doesn’t mean your style has to suffer. Getting dressed can be just as fun as it was during the summer! Though we all love the tube tops and sun dresses that got us through the sunny season, there are so many outfits you can explore in the winter. The season of layering makes your options endless. From shaggy teddy’s to velvet blazers you can get creative with colors and textures during these chilling months.

Now, I get it, when it’s a jarring 14 degrees the last thing you’re thinking about is how cute your outfit is or isn’t, but I’m here to give you tips to stay stylish and warm. These simple style tips will make you channel your inner Rihanna when planning your next look.

Statement-making coats are a must this season! You can make a statement anywhere from having vibrant colors, to fun shaggy textures, the length and or the fun prints. Which ever you pick all eyes will be on you when you’re walking down the street. And when one coat isn’t enough that’s perfect time to have fun with layering.

Photo Courtesy Pinterest

While we’re  on the topic of outerwear, teddy’s are a big hit right now. The coat comes in a wide variety of colors; however, the most popular variation of the jacket are in neutral colors such as camel brown, chocolate brown, cream and taupe. But brands also feature the jacket in pastels such as mauve, baby blue, baby pink and lavender. This jacket pairs well with jeans and a cute bootie and the look is great for a day out in the city.

Photo Courtesy Pinterest

Now, if you thought the leopard print trend was going to die think again. Leopard print is a key staple in the fall and winter seasons. But instead of adding that signature coat to your wardrobe consider adding a dress. Yes, I said it, a dress. This is a cute and sleek way of livening your look, allowing the printed dress to peek out underneath the bulky outerwear and knits. Pro-tip: A leopard print slip is a great layering piece. You can throw it on over a black turtleneck or sweater to give the look a pop of color.

Photo Courtesy Pinterest

Fabrics can enhance your wardrobe in more ways than you think. Silks and satins can elevate what could’ve be a basic denim outfit and transform it into a sleek and sexy look, perfect for a date night or dinner with the girls. Colors to consider include: dark browns, burgundy, navy blue, cream and baby pink.

Photo Courtesy Pinterest

Now for my personal favorite, shoes! Most importantly boots! The idea that shoes can upgrade your whole outfit is often neglected, but accessorizing with your shoes during this season is so much fun. I know when I’m in a rush my go to look are leggings paired with a hoodie. However I recently started adding vibrant colorful boots to my shoe collection, so now when I throw  on my basic attire and I’m feeling a little extra, I’ll add my suede chili red Halogen booties and I instantly feel like a boss. So if you haven’t already, go out and buy you some boots girl!  

Photo Courtesy Pinterest

Lastly the most important tip I can give you is to embrace yourself and your style. Don’t let anyone cram you into a box. Step out and show out every time you walk the streets and stay true to you.

Kendell Ryan

Columbia Chicago '20

LA girl bringing a west coast vibe to Chicago
Melanie Medrano

Columbia Chicago '21

A music-enthused entertainment journalist who wants to share her voice with the world - one article at a time.