This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Movie Review: (stay till the end for Black Panther memes)

Black Panther has been out for a couple weeks now. If you haven’t seen it I’m not really sure what you’re doing, but go see it before finishing this post! I know, on the surface Black Panther appears to be just another Marvel superhero movie, but it’s a standalone movie that I would recommend to anyone. Ryan Coogler wrote and directed a great film, the fact that it also exists in the MCU (Marvel Cinematic Universe) is a bonus. It allows you to watch the movie without shoehorned Avenger references, it’s nice if you notice and if you don’t notice, you don’t think anything of it.

My expectations for movies are usually pretty low. This is by choice, so not to be disappointed during a viewing. The only movie that has managed to go below my already low expectations is the Emoji movie… just thinking about it gets me worked up. This one, however, I was excited for and had high expectations.

Black Panther has a beautiful story to tell and an even more beautiful cast to tell it. Everything from personal struggle, tradition versus progress, misguided anger, sibling love, political commentary and the importance of unity in times of hardship packed into 2 hours and 15 minutes. As a woman, I was delighted to see four leading ladies, each with their own personality, quirks and even fighting styles, be individual and have a purpose that wasn’t just utility to a man. Even the romantic dynamics were realistic, healthy and heartwarming to see.

To some, this might be “just a black superhero movie” and if that’s still your opinion after seeing the film and its positive impact it’s had on not just little kids, but adults as well- you might stand alone in that. Representation matters, we’ve seen this in more movies this year than ever before and hopefully, it keeps going. Little black boys aren’t reduced to the comic relief side character, no longer just the villain, not the basketball-loving kid from a low-income family. No, little black boys get to see themselves as kings. And little black girls get to see themselves as Queens, and tech whizzes and warriors. Adults can finally cosplay without being “The black Wonder Woman” or “The black Spiderman”.

Black Panther is also arguably one of the best movies in the MCU, up there with Captain America: Winter Soldier. Fight me on this.

In conclusion, if you haven’t, go see the movie… then see it again just because you can. It’s a lovely film that I was able to watch three times without feeling bored and I even still laughed at the jokes. Ryan Coogler and the rest of the cast worked so hard to make this movie; the hype is real, it delivers. Wakanda Forever.

ON WITH THE MEMES. (Just imagine that Kendrick Lamar’s A M A Z I NG soundtrack is playing in your head as you look at these)

1. http://mmmlem.tumblr.com/post/171427426572/jonbutter-tchalla-after-drinking-that-stuff

2. http://snorlaxatives.tumblr.com/post/171102159454/black-panther-making-more-money-domestically-in

3. starkenthusiast

4. d0cpr0fess0r

5. ren-kylo

6. https://njadakasrage.tumblr.com/post/171107272573/if-you-could-sum-up-that-iconic-throne-room-scene

7. marvel

Wakanda Forever. X

Kara Middleton

Columbia Chicago

Hello, My name is Kara!
Briana Kennedy

Columbia Chicago '19

I am a Columbia College Chicago student majoring in Advertising and double minoring in Marketing and Social Media & Digital Strategy. I am currently a strategy intern for Fusion92. In my free time, I enjoy reading, running, watching Netflix, exploring Chicago, and finding the cutest coffee shops.