And That’s a Wrap! My Faves of the Year and the Decade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Every year, Spotify releases it’s “Spotify Wrapped,” an exciting formulation of the artists, songs and genres of music you’ve been listening to all year, and for our circumstances, the decade! I saw countless Instagram Stories, showing everyone’s lists and it’s such an exciting way to bring people together! So here are some of my own moments I’ll share with you.

My number one artist of the year? None other than Ariana Grande! Need I even explain? Apparently “7 rings,” was my number one listen of hers which explains it as that is one of my all-time favorite party bops. 

My top artists were Ariana Grande, Lana Del Rey, Tame Impala, King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard, and Iron & Wine. All of whom I consider my favorite artists right now, so there was really no shock there.

One of my favorite discoveries is how often I’ve listened to King Gizzard. According to Spotify, I explored 64 of their songs, 12 of their albums, and spent over 25 hours listening to them. We vibin’ for sure. 

My number one song was “Borderline” by Tame Impala, which has been on repeat since the Spring of this year, and others were “Miracles” by Jefferson Starship, “Sense” by King Gizzard, and “Pyotr” by Bad Books. All very different, but great songs nonetheless.  

And last, but certainly not least, who was my artist of the decade? None other than my queen, lord and savior, and second mother Lana Del Rey. *Insert ‘Pretends to be shocked GIF’ here.*

Spotify Wrapped is something I look forward to every year, and it was so exciting to see all of my favorites of the year and now decade. Looking forward to ringing in 2020 and discovering lots of new artists as I did this year. 

So who was your artist of the decade?

Olivia Deloian

Columbia Chicago '20

My name is Olivia Deloian and I'm a journalism major at Columbia College Chicago with a focus in News and Features. I'll be graduating in May! I'm currently a production intern with ABC 7's show Windy City Live! A former intern with ABC 7's Consumer I-Team, and NBC 5 Chicago's Investigative Team. I'm also a former staff reporter and editorial leader at the Columbia Chronicle. I have a passion for writing and telling important stories. I'm a self-proclaimed fashionista, and I could spend all day talking about music and movies, and of course The Bachelor. Ask me what I'm listening to today. "Doing what you love is freedom. Loving what you do is happiness." -Lana Del Rey
Melanie Medrano

Columbia Chicago '21

A music-enthused entertainment journalist who wants to share her voice with the world - one article at a time.