7 Reasons Why You Should See Beautiful Boy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Beautiful Boy, a 2018 film starring Timothee Chalamet and Steve Carrell is probably the most serious film in both of the actors’ careers. The Oscar-worthy film tells a heavy and heartbreaking story that details the many levels of drug addiction like survival, relapse, and recovery. 

Photo Courtesy of TVOM

1. Timothee Chalamet 

He’s the hottest young actor to hit the streets of Hollywood, with other appearances in the popular Call Me by Your Name, and Lady Bird. I don’t know anyone who isn’t obsessed with Timothee, he’s a very talented actor, he’s French, and look at his bone structure. 

Photo Courtesy of Verge Campus

2. Timothee Chalamet 

Ok, I had to show one more picture. He’s just so gorgeous. 

Photo Courtesy of Youtube

3. Timothee Chalamet 

OK. I’m done. 

Photo Courtesy of UPI

4. Steve Carrell 

Steve Carrell, who plays Timothee’s dad in the movie, gets to showcase his more serious side this time around. While a rare occurrence, his acting is nothing less of perfection and the father and son relationship he and Timothee bring to life is nothing short of heartwarming. 

SIDE NOTE- WHY DIDN’T ANYONE TELL ME STEVE CARRELL IS LOWKEY HOT 

Photo Courtesy of Youtube

5. Soundtrack 

The soundtrack of this movie was amazing. You could tell every song was carefully picked to match and amplify the scenes filled with turmoil and inner self-struggle. Take a minute and listen to the original motion picture soundtrack, available on Spotify, especially the song created for the film, “Treasure” by Sampha. 

Photo Courtesy of COS

6. A story told from two different perspectives 

One thing that I found really unique and enjoyable about this movie was that you really got to see equal amounts of how drugs affected Chalamet’s character and how Chalamet’s drug usage affected his dad, played by Steve Carrell. They are truly both the main characters and it was nice to not only see the harmful effects of drugs on the user but the effect it has on a user’s family and friends as well. 

Photo Courtesy of NewNowNext

7. Highlights the grueling reality of drug use

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a movie that went into so much detail about what life is like as an addict before. This movie was really hard to watch, and at times, uncomfortable. But that was the point. You saw the evolution he went through to get to his heavy drug usage, the struggles he faced trying to get sober and falling back in and relapsing, the toll it took on his once great relationship with his father, the lows he went through just to get high. It was all very real, very heavy, and very well made. 

Briana Kennedy

Columbia Chicago '19

I am a Columbia College Chicago student majoring in Advertising and double minoring in Marketing and Social Media & Digital Strategy. I am currently a strategy intern for Fusion92. In my free time, I enjoy reading, running, watching Netflix, exploring Chicago, and finding the cutest coffee shops.