5 Steps to Help You Graduate Early

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Everyone has different experiences during college. Whether you party every weekend, or spend your spare time at work, each person has the same goal…to graduate. For me, I was ready to get out of college as soon as I could, and if that meant putting in extra work, then so be it. Here are a couple tips and tricks on how to graduate early without overworking yourself.

1. Come in with credits.

If you High School provides AP classes, take them. Not only will it look good on your college application, but it will also give you a chance to earn college credits before you are even enrolled! If you take the AP classes, you have to take the AP tests to get the credits. Don’t skip out on the tests, study hard! Yes, they cost money, but if you pass enough tests, then you could have enough credits that would qualify you as a sophomore in college your first year.

2. Take summer courses.

Taking summer courses is an easy way to get ahead in school. Even taking one or two could boost you to stay on track to graduating early. Along with that, talk to your advisor to see if a local community college has the same courses and can transfer credits back to your school. Not only is it cheaper to take the courses at a community college, but the courses are occasionally easier as well.

3. Take extra courses.

If you are comfortable taking extra courses during the semester, then do it! The course load may be a little more, but if you work hard and stay concentrated, then you can manage it. The more credits you take each semester, the faster you will be done with your required courses/credit count. The only thing is, don’t overdo it. If you can’t handle extra coursework, don’t enroll in those classes. Along with that, don’t take more than suggested, anything over 21 credits would be too much in my opinion.

4. Speak to your advisor.

If you are serious about graduating early, speak to your academic advisor. They will be the ones to set out a plan that will help you stay on track. They are also the ones you need to talk to if you want to take extra classes during the semester, because you have to be approved to take them. You have advisors for a reason, so take advantage of it.

Photo Credit: Pixabay

5. Don’t be afraid.

It may seem impossible at first, but don’t let that waiver you. Adults will question why you want to graduate early and try to convince you otherwise, but if this is what you want to do, commit. Yes, there will be extra work. Yes, it will be stressful sometimes, but in the end, you managed to do it. Don’t let others stop you from doing what you want.

Overall, it is possible to graduate early. Whether it is a semester, or a whole year, you can do it. The only other thing I would suggest is that if you want to do this, you have to have good grades and good time management skills. It’s not for everyone, but you can make it possible.

Tory Appel

Columbia Chicago

Hello! My name is Tory Appel and I am a student at Columbia College Chicago studying advertising and photography. I am also working at 101.9 the Mix and 100.3 WSHE as a Promotional Assistant, and I'm loving every minute of it! In my free time I like to take portraits, read, and watch scary movies.