Style > Beauty

5 Skincare Products I Can’t Live Without

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Finding the right skincare routine is a headache we all know too well—like trying the new product that your sister has sworn by or buying that product a 30 second Instagram tutorial  convinced you to get, only to be greeted with dry, red and irritated skin.

There are no one-size-fits-all for skincare, but I have found that if you stop trying to treat your skin for temporary blemishes you’ll find long-lasting results. I used to think I had acne-prone skin, I was constantly purchasing products that targeting blemishes, not realizing that they were drying out my skin, causing more blemishes! I was stressed, to say the least. 

I switched to all gentle, natural products and my skin has never felt or looked better. Here are my top 5 products I can’t live without:

ORIGINS Checks and Balances- Frothy Face Wash ($24.00)

This product is a treasure, it provides a deep clean of your skin without feeling like you’ve stripped away your skin’s essential oils. It is moderately to high priced, however, a little truly goes a long way. This product lasts me almost 2 months. You can get it at Ulta or Sephora!. (P.S. Sephora gives samples.)

Clean & Clear Oil Control Astringent Sensitive ($5.00)

This product is key after a deep clean, it will pick up any dirt or makeup that you may have missed. It will tighten your pores so no additional dirt and grime can creep into your clean skin. The key to this product is that it is sensitive. I remember I bought the normal one because they were out of the sensitive and my skin was left feeling extremely dry. This product lasts about a month. You can get it at any pharmacy, as well as Target.

E.l.f SuperHydrate Moisturizer ($12.00)

A good moisturizer makes all the difference. I have tried a lot, but this one is my most recent find thanks to my sister. It is a gel-based moisturizer that gives thirsty skin what it craves. The gel is infused with “Squalane, a plant-derived oil that balances moisture and maintains elasticity.” My skin is always glowing after I use this moisturizer, it is also great under make-up. This is my first round of the product and so far it has lasted me a little over a month and I still have a lot more to go. You can get this product at Ulta, Target, or online.

FRESH Sugar Strawberry Exfoliating Face Wash ($15.00)

Exfoliation is a step you never want to skip. I recommend exfoliating twice a week. However, exfoliating is meant to deep cleanse the skin by getting rid of dead skin cells and impurities, which can cause heavy irritation and redness. That is why this exfoliator is amazing, it is gentle and all-natural and works wonders. This one is also pricey, but any natural and gentle exfoliant should do the trick, this is just one of my personal favorites. It removes impurities and excess oil without drying while refining the look of pores for smooth, soft skin. Plus it smells INCREDIBLE! This product lasts me quite a long time and you can get it at Sephora.

Masks on Masks on Masks

I use multiple masks for multiple purposes, and if I were to list them all, this list would be more extensive. Ultimately, masks are up to you and what your skin goals are. For me, I like to focus on purifying, toning and brightening and moisture. Three masks I have recently been using are: the Glam Glow Bubble Sheet ($9.00) it’s perfect for a deep cleanse, especially after a day/night of wearing makeup. The Origins Clear Improvement honey mask (34.00) this mask is great for calming highly irritated skin after exfoliating and leaves it smooth and clear. Lastly, the Fresh Rose Mask, I purchased the mini version ($25.00) and this mask is great for toning and brightening the skin, leaving my face feeling fresh and vibrant.

I invest a lot into my skin for the best result possible. Yet, the one step that has never left me down is water. Hydrated skin is happy skin. Try drinking at least eight 8-ounce glasses a day, not only will your body feel great, but your skin will look and feel incredible.

Kendell Ryan

Columbia Chicago '20

LA girl bringing a west coast vibe to Chicago
Ally Stegman

Columbia Chicago '21

aspiring magazine writer with a passion for pop culture and fashion