This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

Even with the change of the seasons, there is always time to be had for love. Springtime is a great time of the year to still have dates – it’s that point where you start getting out more, and those who enjoy going out and enjoying the fresh air after hibernating for months come out. But while we love to go on dates, we may not have or want to spend as much as we do just to go out for dinner. With that being said, here are 5 inexpensive ideas for dates during the springtime.

*Photo Courtesy of Pinterest

1. Have a Picnic

Picnics are always a great date to have around this time of year. All you need is a small lunch that you make yourself (like some sandwiches, water, and fruit), a blanket to sit or lay on and a nice place to have your picnic. A great place is Maggie Daley Park: they start setting out their flowers for the spring and you can have the sun on your face with the open sky. You can even do this at night, lay under the sky and watch the stars at night for that extra little bit of movie romance. You can also go to Pritzker Pavilion since there’s also a lot of open space to have a picnic.

2. Go See a Flower Show

Flowers are a big symbol of the springtime arriving, and what better way to embrace that than going to a flower show. If you are looking to not go out of the downtown area, Macy’s is having their annual flower show “Once Upon a Springtime” at their location on State Street.The show runs only until April 8th, so make sure you see it soon. If you’re looking to venture outside of the downtown area, the Garfield Park Conservatory is having their spring flower show “Hashtag No Filter”. This show is very grandiose and elegant, and it runs until May 13, so you have a lot of time to plan a cute date.

*Photo Courtesy of Brit + Co

3. Go Sightseeing

It’s always great to be able to explore the outdoors and spend time with your person, and what better way to do that than sightseeing. There are a lot of trails that can be found outside of downtown, so whether you take a walk or bike ride, you’ll still be engaging in quality time. If you’re not too outdoorsy or want to stay in the downtown area, the Mag Mile is also a good place for sightseeing. You can view architecture, window shop, and you can see how they start to decorate the street with flowers and lights.

4. Visit a Museum or Zoo

This is a simple, yet super fun adventure to have. If you’re the animal lover, then Lincoln Park Zoo is the place for you. More animals will start coming out as the season gets warmer, and it’s free to enter. If you’re more of a museum fan, then the museums in the city offer free days all the time. If none of those days work for you, some of the museums offer discounts or let you in for free if you’re a college student – so check and see if those apply to you.

*Photo Courtesy of Insider

5. For Two, By Two Date

This is for those who don’t want to go out anywhere and just want to stay home. It’s a super simple date that will definitely bring you sparks. Think of the scene in “Ghost”, but with pizza. All you need to do is buy the ingredients to make a pizza, and you guys can make one from scratch at home. You can even make it a challenge by making a pizza for the other and see if you get all their favorite toppings. Then, Netflix and chill begins.

Melanie Medrano

Columbia Chicago '21

A music-enthused entertainment journalist who wants to share her voice with the world - one article at a time.