This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

I’m someone who is slowly clearing out her closet, selling clothes, and buying a whole different style. However, there’s always pieces I never get rid of and stay with me for years. I call those the essentials. These may seem like the smallest things, but once you have them you’ll never let them go!

Basic Jewelry

I almost never leave home without wearing some sort of necklace or earrings. It takes the most basic outfit to another level. Adding jewelry makes your outfit look more interesting, een if you’re just wearing jeans and a t-shirt. Whether you’re a gold or silver person, go ahead and rock that ice.

Black Boots

It’s just the shoe that goes with literally everything. Skinny jeans? Black boots. Flowy dress? Black boots. Sweatpants? Black boots. I got mine from Target for $20, I’ve never replaced them and they look good with anything; I’m not kidding.

Jean Jacket

It’s going to get cold sometime soon, layer up with a jean jacket. In my 20 years of living, I can’t remember a time when I didn’t have a jean jacket in my closet. I prefer a jean jacket over a sweater any day. The layers, just like the jewelry, make for a more interesting look with minimal effort.

Leather Belt

I actually just invested in a black leather belt, and it’s something I’ve always needed but never knew. It doubles up with functionally and fashion so you can’t go wrong. My favorite looks are adding a belt to jeans and tucking a shirt in or wearing a flowy dress and cinch a belt around your waist.

Sunglasses

If you’re having a busy day and don’t have time to do a full beat of makeup, sunglasses will do the trick. Again, functionality and fashion all in one! I don’t know about you, but when I wear sunglasses with any outfit, it makes me just a little bit more confident.

Tracy Marasigan

Columbia Chicago '21

A busy girl who loves fashion, r&b music, and food. I'm also a hopeless romantic...yikes.
Ally Stegman

Columbia Chicago '21

aspiring magazine writer with a passion for pop culture and fashion