sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

19 lessons I’ve learned in my 19 Years

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Chicago chapter.

We all know with growth comes the territory of facing new challenges and learning new lessons. Everyone has different experiences and there’s no saying what lessons are better than others. But all lessons are worth sharing.

Here are 19 lessons I’ve learned by age 19 that I wanted to share.

1. Don’t take life too seriously

I know that everyone says this but truly I can speak from personal experience, it is not worth the stress that comes with forgetting to have a little fun every once in a while.

2.  It’s easier to stay on top of things than it is to procrastinate

Seems simple but we all know it’s not. Staying on top of things is just another way to ensure you’re being productive and not giving yourself too much unnecessary stress.

3. Don’t be ashamed of the things you like

I don’t care how old you are, if you like something, own it.

4. Keep going

Even with tears in your eyes. You really are capable of so much but it’s healthy to break down every once in a while.

5. Focus on learning

And I don’t just mean school. Learn anything and everything you can because at the end of the day without learning there is no growth.

6. Don’t forget to make time for yourself

Life is not easy. Taking time for yourself is key to maintaining a healthy mental state.

7. Understand you’re not always going to be right and that’s okay

I love more than anything to be right, but it has taken me a long time to accept you cannot always be and that’s okay.

8. Cherish each moment with the people in your life because it won’t last forever

Nothing lasts forever. You’ve heard it a million times but it’s true. Hold onto those moments and never let them go.

9. Life isn’t a race

There are literally no rules. Don’t let yourself get wrapped up in thinking you have to get things accomplished by a certain time because the reality is you don’t.

10. Stop comparing yourself to others

IT IS NOT WORTH IT. You are you and that is for a reason, don’t lose sight of that.

11. Recognize what you’re good at

It’s okay to be sure of yourself. Hone your talents and celebrate them because you deserve to.

12. Don’t dwell on your weaknesses

You have two choices here: ignore them or work to improve upon them but DON’T dwell on them.

13. Empathy is key

Be open and aid those around you whenever you get the chance.

14. You’re going to fight with your parents and that’s okay

No relationship is perfect. Just because you fight, doesn’t mean you love them any less.

15. Know your limits

There is no point in trying to be superhuman because you’re not. Only take on what you can handle.

16. Respect your worth

You are human, so you are valid, and you owe it to yourself to know your worth.

17. Don’t settle for anything

There is nothing in this world that should get between you and what you want. Please just go for because you deserve to have it.

18. Do more things that scare you

Fear is well terrifying but it’s also exhilarating. Pushing yourself makes you a better version of yourself. A life lived in fear is a life filled with regrets

19. Just love

Kaci Watt

Columbia Chicago '21

Hey I'm Kaci! I'm a sophomore journalism major and public relations minor who loves shopping, watching youtube, and writing!
Briana Kennedy

Columbia Chicago '19

I am a Columbia College Chicago student majoring in Advertising and double minoring in Marketing and Social Media & Digital Strategy. I am currently a strategy intern for Fusion92. In my free time, I enjoy reading, running, watching Netflix, exploring Chicago, and finding the cutest coffee shops.