This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It makes me sad that I have almost no time to sit down and read a book for pleasure, but I recently picked up a book in Koreatown that I consciously made time for. At first, I was drawn to the cute cover and creative aesthetic of the book, but I quickly realized that it was just the book I needed. In I Decided to Live As Me, author Kim Soo Hyun helps readers navigate the realm of mental health by providing tips and tricks on how to achieve inner healing. The book is written entirely in Korean, so most of you will be unable to comprehend the text, but it has provided me with such immense peace of mind that I thought it would be helpful to share my interpretation of some of the most poignant lessons in the book.

1. Erase the numbers

In our day and age, everything seems to be measured with numbers. Our intelligence, weight, Instagram followers, etc., all have some numerical value attached to them. Unfortunately, these numbers determine our societal standing, and they drive us to an almost obsessive state of constantly increasing or decreasing the digits. Author Kim Soo Hyun challenges her readers to see the worth in everything that numbers cannot determine. Numbers provide a means for individuals to pin themselves against each other, but in order for us to be incomparable, fulfilled and unique in our self-image and relationships with others, we have to start by erasing the numbers.

2. Be okay with being average

We’re taught from such a young age to always “achieve!” that we are often unable to find satisfaction in anything that we do unless we’re doing it better than before. Sometimes, though, we have to understand that it’s completely okay to be average, and we have to give ourselves more credit that we do. Whether it be in our school work or job search, if the result is average but you’re proud of the work you put in, praise yourself because you’ve done the best you can. Finding our worth even in the midst of the “average-ness” is what leads to a continuous and ever-growing mindset of self-love.

3. Don’t dismiss the pain

On social media, it’s easy to see celebrities basking in their glory and living out what appear to be flawless lives. I know—this makes it hard to admit that you’re having a hard time, but the reality is that you are the only person who is completely aware of your feelings and emotions, so take the time to grapple with the pain. Tell yourself that you’re suffering. Reflect on whatever is making you angry. Be true to your thoughts and responsible for your emotions. You will only achieve true healing when you let your pain surface and process it.

I never thought that I’d need a book like I Decided to Live As Me, but being in college is tough, and I’m sure that some of you, like myself, need tips on how to become self-loving and confident individuals. In order to become better people, it is imperative that we first learn how to properly engage with our own space in this world. I hope that this article serves as a reminder that it is enough to live as you and you only.

Grace Lim

Columbia Barnard '22

I am a first year at Columbia University studying sociology and east asian languages and cultures. In my free time, I enjoy cafe hopping and trying all things green tea!