burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style

Why Ms. Frizzle Is Actually My Style Icon

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

In the past few months, I’ve been expressing myself a lot via large, funky earrings—and people have noticed! A close friend of mine recently told me that my jewelry vibe was very much Ms. Frizzle-esque, which prompted an immediate google search and a spiritual journey. My eyes have been opened and my soul has been awakened to the eclectic, enigmatic, performative, grotesque, puzzling, intricate, ornate conundrum that is Ms. Frizzle’s wardrobe—and here’s what I’ve found. First of all, The Magic School Bus is a Canadian franchise?!

Second of all, Scholastic Entertainment released a reboot, starring Kate McKinnon as Ms. Frizzle, called The Magic School Bus Rides Again?! I will have to investigate and get back to you all on this. (Lin-Manuel Miranda performs “Ride on the Magic School Bus” for the opening theme. What doesn’t this man do?)

Third of all, Ms. Frizzle was pulling look after look on the daily, and it is an absolute disgrace that I have only just acknowledged her esteemed fashion clout. Upon close study, I have collected seven essential style tips from the iconic Valerie Felicity Frizzle. Bus, do your stuff!

Let’s begin with her effortlessly tousled, messy updo. Brush the shorter-length hairs at the outskirts of your hairline down to frame your face, encourage strands to come loose, curl your hair or embrace your natural texture to give the look volume. It’s no coincidence that her last name is Frizzle— embrace the frizz and don’t stress over a perfectly polished and clean look. Ms. Frizzle sure wouldn’t!

Ms. Frizzle’s eyebrows are chic and sleek, and her thin brow look is definitely taking us on a ride back to the ’90s on her oh-so-magical school bus. Feathered brows, thin brows, thick brows, wavy brows, rainbow brows, glitter brows; everybody is doing the most with their eyebrows these days. Find your inner Frizzle and rock the brow that suits you! I personally like to keep my eyebrows clean and tidy like my girl, Frizz.

Homegirl is wearing a pair of sandwich earrings. Need I say more? YES! Stars, electric guitars, planets, lightning bolts, crescent moons, hearts, pickles, first aid kits… there is simply nothing scaling the mystical expanse of the entire galaxy that this woman has not proudly dangled from her ear lobes. Does anyone know where I can get a pair of watering can earrings? Probably Etsy, right?

Remember that time Ms. Frizzle wore an entire planet model on her head? I’ll leave it at that.

Ms. Frizzle is most often known for her figure-flattering A-line dresses and skirts, but we simply can not ignore this revolutionary collared jumpsuit look. Pop the collar or don’t! Throw on a pair of metallic shades and slip into a sleek pair of purple shoes; your look is complete, but your night has just begun. I wore a blue velvet jumpsuit for the first time this New Years, and it was an instant hit. Don’t sleep on the jumpsuit; it’s a super comfy statement piece and a must-have.Ms. Frizzle never slacks on accessories, and neither should you. Hats, hairpieces, earrings, necklaces, rings, belts, chokers, and bags are essential items for upgrading a casual outfit that you wear all the time to a snazzy, never-before-seen ensemble. Ms. Frizzle jazzes up her rainy day fit with a straw hat, polka-dot raincoat, and dainty mustard yellow gloves. How could she have anticipated that mustard yellow would be a bop in 2019? This woman is a sage.

Ms. Frizzle never shies away from funky patterns, unconventional textures, peculiar combinations, or outfits that challenge fashion protocol. When it comes to personal style, there really aren’t—or at least shouldn’t be— any rules after all. You don’t have to look like the demure, elite models gliding across NY Fashion Week glass runways and wearing trench coats more expensive than your semesterly tuition. If you want to wear a corduroy jacket on top of corduroy pants, do it! (Corduroy is also super in, at least for me!) Let your body be your canvas.

If you learn only one thing from Ms. Frizzle, let it be that your style is uniquely and rightfully indigenous to who you are, so you should never be afraid to wear things that are special to you.

And also that cheese can be a pattern!

Teresa Deely

Columbia Barnard '20

Teresa studies Creative Writing and English at Columbia University, and she is also a part-time throat player. Her hobbies include audibly gasping at dogs, singing loudly in her room, singing softer when she finds out her neighbors can hear her, and dragging her less-than-enthusiastic friends along with her to yoga. Check out more of her articles on http://beautyandwellbeing.com for sustainable beauty and skincare!