Aang from Avatar the Last Airbender
Aang from Avatar the Last Airbender
Nickelodeon Animation Studio

Which ‘Avatar: The Last Airbender’ Character Are You Based on Your Zodiac?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Long ago, the four nations lived in harmony. Long ago, people would actually leave their houses. But now we live in the COVID-19 pandemic where watching eight hours of Netflix straight is completely acceptable. 

In May, Avatar: The Last Airbender came to Netflix and has been on the top of the viewing charts since. Ever wonder what Avatar character you’re most like? We used a different chart — the astrological one — to determine who your Avatar: The Last Airbender twin is based on your zodiac sign. 

Aries — Toph Beifong

Aries love to jump headfirst into danger without thinking, and that sounds exactly like Toph. She never worries about the consequences, but instead is recklessly brave. She is not stupid in the slightest, but she puts little thought into her actions before doing them. 

In addition, Aries are forward-thinking. Toph combated gender norms and the idea that she must be a demure little girl. Plus, she invented metal bending, so it doesn’t get more creative than that. 

Taurus — Katara

Katara is the most dependable person on Team Avatar, and solidness is a defining trait of Tauruses. This sign is stubborn and extremely reliable. Katara is unable to let go of the idea that she must kill the man who killed her mother, but her friends also know that at the end of the day she’ll always be by their side.

Gemini — Prince Zuko

Geminis are split between two halves of themselves. Throughout the entirety of Avatar, Zuko struggles to reconcile the banished son he is with the former prince of the Fire Nation. Geminis are impulsive and indecisive, which are two traits that describe Zuko. On his hunt for Aang, he often made said things he later regretted or acted in a way he was not proud of. 

Cancer — Uncle Iroh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtGW6dRxVao

Uncle Iroh is one of the most likable characters on Avatar. Just like a Cancer, it is hard not to want to be his friend. But more than that, the relationships he creates are extremely deep and are seen to last for many years. Iroh is able to balance his desire to be spiritual and protect the Order of the White Lotus while very much be grounded in reality. 

Leo — Ty Lee

Leos are the life of the party, and so is Ty Lee — do I even need to mention “The Beach” episode? Leos are extremely enthusiastic and are really encouraging. Ty Lee was always such a dedicated and loving friend to Azula, even when she was not a good friend in return. This circus acrobat always had a big smile on her face and a good attitude throughout thr toughest situations. 

Virgo — Suki

Virgos are known for being patient, logical, and diligent. These are people who do not act out of their emotions, but their logic. Suki leads the Kyoshi warriors and must tactically plan out their attacks. It is her calculating strategy that led to her initially defeating Sokka when they were fighting. She doesn’t let her feelings for Sokka get in the way of her and the Kyoshi warriors, just like any Virgo. 

Libra — Appa

While Appa does not say much, he is a great companion and friend for Aang. Libras are great listeners and Appa is always willing to support Aang and his friends with all their needs and listen to their struggles. Appa isn’t a human, but like any other Libra, he is extremely social. He is always hanging out with Team Avatar as they discuss their plans or even if they’re swimming in a lake.

Scorpio — Princess Azula

Scorpios are tacticians. They plan far in advance and prepare to strike at the perfect moment. As Team Avatar spent weeks thinking about ways to outsmart Azula, little did they know Zuko’s more cunning and more patient younger sister already expected their plans before they arrived. Azula may have never caught Aang, but she got far closer than Zuko ever did. 

Sagittarius — Sokka 

Sagittarians love to explore the world and learning new things. Sokka loved any opportunity to take a risk and even to learn a new skill — even if he didn’t want to. When Sokka realized that he had fighting moves to learn from Suki and the Kyoshi Warriors, he was a bit apprehensive at first, but then realized that he was better off fighting off his prejudices and embracing their lessons. 

Capricorn — The Cabbage Man 

There is no character that deserved a hug more in Avatar than the Cabbage Man. All he wanted was to sell his cabbages, and it was Aang and his friends who consistently ruined his business plans. Capricorns are persistent, and like the Cabbage Man they continue to continue fighting in the face of adversity.

Aquarius — Mai

Aquarians are extremely independent and assertive. Mai has no problem being different from Ty Lee and Azula. She always has been more of a loner than her friends, and her interest in Zuko was no different. Mai tells Azula that she no longer wants to follow her lead because she cares more about Zuko than she fears Azula. While Mai is not the most emotive character, she is always willing to speak up for what she wants and let everyone know how she’s feeling. 

Pisces — Aang

Pisces are extremely empathetic, and understanding others is one of the main characteristics of the Avatar. Pieces are not afraid to feel and tap into their emotions, something that Aang specializes in. Aang spends the entirety of the show learning from the people around him, like how Katara taught him how to water bend. Pisces constantly learn from the 11 other signs just like Aang’s journey involved meeting different masters and people to become the best Avatar possible. 

If you’re the Avatar to a simple cabbage seller, we hope you are able to see yourself in these characters as you go further into the Avatar universe. 

Elizabeth Karpen

Columbia Barnard '22

Lizzie Karpen is 2022 graduate of Barnard College, the most fuego of women’s colleges, who studied Political Science and English with a concentrations in Film and American Literature. To argue with her very unpopular opinions, send her a message at @lizziekarpen on Instagram and Twitter. To read her other work, check out Elizabethkarpen.com.