This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

You all know what time of the year it is! Love is in the air! And Valentine’s Day themed candies are available at your nearest dollar store! It’s the most romantic time of the year, and of course you can’t go wrong with giving or receiving candy on Valentine’s Day. Have you ever wondered, why do I love Valentine’s themed Hershey kisses? Or why those heart candies with messages put a smile on your face? Well, I’m here to put your thoughts at ease! Below you will find a few of the popular Valentine’s Day sweets and find out what your favorite says about you. 

Valentine’s Day Themed M&Ms

Your love language is spending time with your loved one. Whether it’s walking through the park together or seeing a movie together, the important thing is that you two are spending time together. The fact that you two are able to be present with each other is all you could ever ask for. I know it’s tough because of social distancing, but you can still find plenty of ways to spend time with each other, even if not all of those times are in person. Movie nights, FaceTime calls, and Zooms can still connect you.

Box of Chocolate

Your love language is acts of kindness. You love doing little things that remind your loved one of how much you love them, and receiving acts of kindness as well. Your face lights up when you find a cute note from your loved one or see that they’ve helped you with a task. You and your loved one can plan a series of unexpected acts of kindness throughout Valentine’s Day, or even the week! Spontaneity is your best friend!

Valentine’s Day Themed Hershey Kisses

Your love language is physical touch and affection. You love hugs and kisses and any opportunity to hold your loved one. You love to share what you have with others, from chocolates to memorable experiences! Nothing will beat holding your significant other’s hand on a romantic stroll in the park. I know social distancing must be difficult with this love language, but you can still find ways to demonstrate your affection and show your loved one that you would love nothing more but to wrap them in a warm hug!

Valentine’s Day Heart Candies

Your love language is receiving loving words and communication. You are very outspoken about what you want and need from your loved ones, which is a wonderfully admirable quality. The words “I love you” and “I adore you” are music to your ears. You love hearing affectionate words as much as you love saying them to your loved one. You are probably a poet, an actor, or a singer, someone who has no shame in professing their love verbally and into the world. Go write that love sonnet! In this time of social distancing, receiving a love letter in the mail could be such a romantic gesture. 

I hope all of you have a wonderful and safe Valentine’s Day! There are many ways, even outside of the ways I’ve named, that you can show appreciation and love to your loved ones. Remember that you are loved and deserving of love too!

Izabella Lizarazo

Columbia Barnard '24

Izabella is a freshman at Barnard College, often found listening and/or singing along to show tunes or Latin jazz. She's a fan of journaling, organizing, and writing. She is almost always available to go out and talk over a bubble tea or ice cream with friends. Although she is undecided on what her college major will be, Izabella is interested in history, politics, literature, and Spanish and Latin American cultures.