brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What Your Facebook Profile Pic Says about YOU

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

1.     The Talent Picture

One of the most popular types of profile pictures depicts the person excelling at one of their talents.  It’s usually an action shot during a sports game or artistic performance where the girl is casually scoring a David Beckham-like goal or being tossed in the air and bending her feet to her head at the same time.  Girls who make these pictures their defaults are telling the world that they are not only incredibly talented, but also devoted to their work and proud of it.  It also usually means they are really good at it if they have a good enough picture taken of themselves…I mean nobody photographs amateurs, right? These girls are a little intimidating because they are clearly so talented, but it also shows that they are strong and proud.

2.     The Party Picture

Another popular picture is the candid party picture that depicts the girl raging it up at an awesome club or mediocre frat party.  This girl is telling the world that she is fun and crazy and that she doesn’t take herself too seriously, but she is still clearly awesome because she knows how to party.  Future employers beware.

3.     The Adventure Picture

Many girls choose a default picture that shows them engaging in adventurous activity. Because who doesn’t climb mountains, go bungee jumping, or sky dive on the reg? These girls do, and they have the picture to prove it.  They are showing everyone that they are daring and exciting to be around, and that they get to see some great views of nature because they seem to be at high altitudes often. 

4.     The Boyfriend Picture

Ah yes, the ever classic pose with the boyfriend.  This picture takes many forms from formal events where the couple is looking their best to the more daring couples that decide to put up pictures of themselves just fully making out.  Either way, this girl is sending a clear message to everyone that she is taken and you know you’re jealous.

5.     The Artsy Picture

With hipster style still being fashionable, all those who can pull off the look have to show off in their profile pictures.  These girls often depict themselves wearing large glasses, red lipstick, vintage clothing, sipping wine, taking photographs of New York City trash cans, or looking at artwork.  At least I think that’s what they’re doing…the picture is usually a little blurred, from a weird angle, and with fancy lighting.  Obviously, these girls want everyone to know that they are artsy and can be accepted in the east village.

6.   The Sorority Picture 

There are always tons of girls who make their default as themselves with their sorority sisters making their signature sorority sign with their hands or bodies or faces or a boy. These girls are showing off the fact that they are in college and have tons of friends and fun things to do because college is awesome.  Everyone who is 1-3 years out of college is super jealous.

7.     The Study Abroad Picture 

Also one that makes everyone stuck at home in America incredibly jealous, these girls show off the fact that they, just like a million other tourists, visited the Eiffel Tower, Buckingham Palace, and a Chinese McDonalds. Even though it can be overdone, if you’re going to go on an amazing, and probably once in a lifetime, trip you might as well be able to flaunt it.

8.     The Classic

Then there are those of us who just have a pretty picture of us smiling as our default picture.  Those girls are probably applying to jobs or are Facebook friends with the parents of the children they babysit.  College problems, 

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!