What you need to do to get your dream summer internship?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

For us as college students, summer is no longer about beaches, margaritas and a whole lot of fun, instead it is the perfect opportunity to build our resumes and get things rolling for when we graduate. Bagging a summer internship is one of the most challenging and nerve-wrecking things we have to do all year round, but it doesn’t have to be as difficult as it sounds. Here are a few tips and tricks to make sure you’re on the right track to your dream summer internship:

1. Start Early

Know what you want and start looking for it before everyone else does. Waiting for the last minute ensures that you won’t get what you want, and might have to end up working at the local coffee shop. Make a list and plan things out in advance, so you’re prepared when application deadlines come along.

2. Keep an open mind

Keep your mind open to all different kind of positions. You’re too young to know exactly what you want, and sometimes going into something you weren’t expecting might make for the best experience of your life.

3. Work on your resume

Make your resume picture perfect, even if that means attending every career workshop and visiting career services every other day. Resumes are your representation on the officer’s desk, it’s your first impression. You don’t want to be rejected for your dream internship simply because you hadn’t proof read your resume.

4. Stay in touch with your past employers

Connect with them on LinkedIn and send them the annual Christmas greeting, make sure they are constantly reminded of whom you are and the great work you did for them. This will come in handy when one of the companies you apply to requests for a formal letter of recommendation, or request for someone to talk to. Networking is key.

5. Stay positive

Don’t get disheartened by rejection letters, they’re part of the game. Your dream job is waiting for you just around the corner, so hold on tight and brace yourself for the perfect summer!