FAB3?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
FAB3?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
her campus media
Culture > News

What’s in the $1.9 Trillion Stimulus Package?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

It’s the moment we’ve all been waiting for: Biden has pulled through on his promise to start distributing stimulus checks. The House of Representatives voted 220 to 211 in favor of passing the package. No Republicans came in support of the so-called America Rescue Plan. The $1.9 trillion stimulus package is the largest federal aid package since the Great Depression. 

Checks of $1,400 will be sent to most Americans via direct deposit as soon as banks can distribute them. The checks are not the only thing included in Biden’s stimulus package, although by adding up to $410 billion dollars, they encompass over 21% of the package. $246 billion dollars is allotted for extensions on unemployment benefits. Those on Unemployment will now receive $300 per week at least until September 6th. 

On the state level, only about 9% of the package went towards education assistance, while state and local governments received about 18%. This education assistance is meant to support school reopening measures. The funds will be used towards improving ventilation systems, purchasing personal protection for staff, implementing social distancing, funding for low-income students, and any other necessities. State and local governments may use their funding at their discretion, but it is likely to be focused on supporting small businesses that have been harmed by the pandemic.

Towards COVID-19 itself, $123 billion is going towards the pandemic response. This includes expansion of testing, personal protective equipment, and of course, increased vaccinations. Biden stated this week that “every adult in America” will be eligible to receive the vaccine by May — a two-month acceleration of his previous promise.

What wasn’t in the bill? Democrats tried to include the $15 minimum wage in this package as well, but it failed to make it through the final cut. The amendment, offered by Senator Bernie Sanders (I-VT), was ruled not permissible based on the budget limitations set by the government. In his Friday statement, Sanders said “We’re going to keep bringing [the minimum wage bill] up, and we’re going to get it done because it is what the American people demand and need.” 

If you’re not sure if you qualify for a stimulus check, you can look at the qualifications here. As always: stay safe, don’t spend your stimulus check all at once, and eat the rich.

Kyrie Woodard

Columbia Barnard '23

is originally a Washingtonian turned New Yorker. Her hobbies include talking about her cats, Bobby and Greg, and drawing macroeconomic graphs.