What & How To Wear: Spring 2012 Fashion Trends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

In every department store window in New York City, spring is popping up in the most vibrant colors that fashion has seen in years. Bloomingdale’s windows feature neon Ready-to-Wear, Saks Fifth Avenue’s windows are bursting with mannequins dressed in yellows, oranges, and fuchsias, and Bergdorf Goodman and Barneys New York’s windows contain more of the same bright hues. Spring is definitely in the air, and fashionistas everywhere have embraced these colors with a sigh of relief that winter is nearly over.

As for the runway, Marc Jacobs at Louis Vuitton took traditional eyelet lace and put new twist on it, adding ostrich feathers and iridescent appliques. Diane von Furstenburg also used lace in her Spring collection. In both collections and in contemporary lines as well, designers paired shorts with blazers and high heels, in an attempt to make them “office appropriate”  (A word of advice: Consult your boss before trying this).

More key looks coming into stores for Spring/Summer ’12 are print pants, from wide and silky to narrow and tapered. Stella McCartney sent “foulard” silks down the runway, small prints reminiscent of men’s neckties. J Crew’s catalog cover featured a pair of bright blue and yellow flowered jeans, a prevalent look this season. Denim manufacturers from J Brand to Current Elliot are offering their pants in a myriad of colors and prints. Jeans can currently be found in animal prints, florals, and neons—not exactly what Levi Strauss pictured when he created the first pair of dungarees!

Also dominating the racks in stores right now are print blouses, intentionally paired in a way that might be considered clashing. Floral prints are with stripes, paisleys with polka dots. The Hawaiian Aloha shirt took a fun turn and showed up in shorts, dresses, and accessories from the runway to Zara stores.

Another interesting trend this season is the peplum waist. This is a flounce of fabric that is gathered at the waist and then flares out at the hips. 
It should be noted that not everyone can pull off this look. It needs to be done right to be flattering and is all about balancing the proportions. A peplum top can be worn with a pair of tailored pants as seen at Philip Lim, and a peplum skirt with a form-fitting top to balance the ruffle.

In footwear, the hottest trend reverts to the 1990’s with Carrie’s “Sex in the City” staples, pointy-toed stilettos. Pair them with the aforementioned shorts or a boyfriend jean to balance the tomboy appeal of the distressed jeans.
So when you’re ready to shed your winter coat look for these trends to freshen up your wardrobe and put some Spring in your step!

Giselle Boresta

Columbia Barnard

Giselle, Class of 2014 at Barnard College, is an Economics major with a minor in French. She was born in New York City, grew up in Ridgewood, NJ, and is excited to be back in her true hometown of New York City. She likes the Jersey Shore (the actual beach, not the show) and seeing something crazy in New York every day!