An (Un)official List of the Best & Worst Couples on ’90 Day Fiancé’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

90 Day Fiancé and its multiple spin-offs have always been one of my favorite guilty pleasure shows to watch. The chaotic nature of getting married in 90 days, plus the baggage (both literally and figuratively) each character comes with, always makes for great television. I have been watching this show since its first season and have seen many relationships make it or, more often, fail. So I thought it would be fun to make a list of the best and worst couples to grace the 90 Day Fiancé franchise.

Loren and Alexei — Best

Loren and Alexei are probably one of the more successful and compatible couples in the 90 Day franchise. Although they have had their ups and downs, they still seem to love and support each other. Their shared faith and culture make their relationship more stable than many others that have to deal with those differences. I love seeing them on Pillow Talk, especially lately with the new addition to their family. They just had their first child this spring and he is adorable.

Colt and Debbie — Worst

Colt is one of the most problematic men of this series. He is extremely selfish and used his ex-wife Larissa’s tentative status as an immigrant to his advantage by calling the cops on her multiple times when he couldn’t control her. I am not saying Larissa is an angel, but using someone’s residency status against them and threatening to have them deported is disgusting. I also list Colt here with his mom as a couple because there is a major Oedipus complex going on, and as long as Debbie is in the picture, she will drive away any woman Colt dates (as seen with Larissa and Jess), and enable his toxic behavior. Also, how does he keep getting all these women?

David and Annie — Best

At first I was skeptical of this relationship. Annie always seemed sweet and in it for the right reasons, but I was worried about David’s history and whether he would step up and support himself and Annie. I was also concerned about the conflict they faced with his daughter. However, he seems to have moved past his mistakes and they appear to be really happy together. I also love seeing them on Pillow Talk — they provide some of the best commentary.

Big Ed and Rosemarie — Worst

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/72550243985284373/?hide-caption=yes

Possibly outdoing Colt for the title of most problematic man of 90 Day Fiancé, Big Ed became a meme for a reason. Although I strongly believe you should not make fun of people based on their appearances, everyone knows Big Ed is ugly on the inside. There are multiple instances of Big Ed and other older men on the show taking advantage of foreign women living in poverty. He, like others, seemed to think he could use his ability of bringing these women to America as a way to buy and control them. Then, when Rosemarie finally had enough of his disgusting behavior and ended the relationship, Big Ed tried to claim she scammed him the entire time, despite the fact that his gifts were unsolicited and most of them consisted of sleazy, cheap lingerie.

Avery and Omar — Best

A lot of women on this show date Muslim men from extremely religious countries and expect them to share their Western values and traditions. However, Avery is an exception to this tendency. Her and Omar’s relationship is stronger than others because it is rooted in their shared faith and her respect of his culture. I loved seeing Omar’s family accept Avery into the family, despite her untraditional past. Their relationship also brought attention to Trump’s travel ban on many Muslim countries, making it currently impossible for them to be together in America.

Darcy and Jesse — Worst

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/341569952985009987/?hide-caption=yes

This list of worst couples should instead probably be just a list of the problematic men of 90 Day Fiancé. Darcy certainly has her own issues to work through, but Jesse was extremely toxic and narcissistic. He often gaslit her, tried to control her, accused her of having a drinking problem she didn’t seem to have, and made her feel desperate when she wanted him to show commitment to their relationship. He definitely also has anger management issues and is an attention-seeker. I hope after Jesse and Tom, Darcy focuses on self-love and teaches her daughters to stay away from toxic personalities.

Kenneth and Armando — Best

Kenneth and Armando are the first male same-sex couple in the franchise and it is nice to see a more diverse representation of relationships this year. Armando is so lovable and has such a sweet relationship with his daughter. His difficulties accepting himself and coming out in Mexico are heart-wrenching, but I love seeing him finally get his happily ever after with Kenny. 

David and Lana — Worst

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/440156563585623606/?hide-caption=yes

David is definitely one of the oddest and creepiest men on this series. This relationship also has to rank low, because despite the shocking reveal that he actually wasn’t being catfished, their relationship was still not real and definitely a scam. Lana refuses to message or contact him on a free platform, forcing him to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars through a Ukranian website, yet David still did not think this is suspicious behaviour. Also in the past, before personal computers were widespread, he tried to find a literal mail order bride, flipping through catalogues of Ukranian women. This relationship has the same problematic nature as Big Ed and Rosemarie’s. David seemed to be yet another creepy, older American man who thought he could buy a foreign wife because she lived in poverty.

Russ and Paola — Best

Russ and Poala are one of the original couples of the 90 Day franchise and have definitely experienced a lot of relationship conflict during their multiple appearances on the show throughout the years. However, they seem to genuinely love and want the best for each other, conquering every difficulty they faced. I think it was also sweet that Russ sacrificed living in Oklahoma near his family to move to Miami for Poala so that she could live in a more accepting environment. 

Stephanie and Erika — Worst

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/386113368057847922?hide-caption=yes

Stephanie and Erika were the first LGBTQ relationship to appear on the 90 Day franchise, and a lot of people had high hopes for them as a couple. Both of them coming out to their families as bisexual on the show was definitely insipirational. However, they are perhaps one of the most incompatible couples I have seen on 90 Day Fiancé. Every episode they were in resulted in a fight. Stephanie is type-A and more reserved, whereas Erika is type-B, more outgoing, and loves to do adventurous things. Ultimately, their personalities clashed for most of the season, resulting in a final fight with Stephanie throwing and breaking dishes in their hotel room. 

Elizabeth Flachbart

Columbia Barnard '22

Elizabeth is a senior at Barnard College studying political science and English. She loves to talk about politics, books, theater, and cats. When she isn't in class, she is probably reading The Economist or binge-watching Gilmore Girls.