Top 9 Holiday Movies to Watch This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

There is nothing better than snuggling up to a warm fire with a nice cup of hot cocoa and a great Christmas classic to really get into the holiday spirit. There is a countless amount of Christmas movies, but only a handful that really fall under the category of timeless classics. 

1. It’s A Wonderful Life (1946)

Nothing says Christmas like this 1946 classic starring Hollywood icons James Stewart, Donna Reed, and Henry Tavers. The film tells the story of a compassionate yet aggravated businessman as he learns what life would have been like if he never existed. This movie is perfect for all members of the family. 

2. The Holiday 

The Holiday is the perfect romantic comedy that will have you wishing that Jude Law or Jack Black will come knocking on your door this Christmas and sweep you off your feet. No promises that this will actually transpire, but one can dream right? After all, what’s Christmas without some far-fetched wishes?  

3. A Christmas Story (1983)

For those avid fans out there, you’re probably very familiar with the 24 hour marathon that kicks off ever Christmas on TBS. If there’s only one thing you learn from little Ralphie, played by Peter Billingsley, it’s don’t buy a BB gun for Christmas because “you’ll shoot your eye out, kid!”

4. Elf (2003)

If you haven’t seen this one yet, then this is the first thing you must watch come winter break! It involves the always hilarious Will Ferrell portraying an elf from the North Pole trying to find his way in the Big Apple. Oh and he also falls for Zooey Deschanel, who plays a Gimbels employee working in their Santa’s workshop. Can you find a cuter holiday romance? I think not. 

5. The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

If you’re anything like me, Halloween and Christmas are two of your favorite holidays of the year. So what better than a movie that brings both worlds together? And not to mention, the film was written by Tim Burton…the man is known to never disappoint. The story follows Jack Skellington, the king of Halloweentown, as he discovers the wonders of Christmas and the holiday spirit. 

6. Disney’s A Christmas Carol (2009)

If you’re from the U.S., you’ve probably seen at least two versions of this Christmas classic. Well if you haven’t seen Disney’s take on the treasured story, then you’re truly missing out. Narrated by Jim Carey, this animated account of Charles Dickens’ novel is all you need for the perfect, snowy December night. 

7. Jack Frost (1998)

Warning: Only watch if you have a tissue box on hand. This film, starring Michael Keaton and Kelly Preston, is one of my favorite Christmas tear jerkers. A father, who is famous for breaking promises, dies in a car accident only to return a year later in the form of a snowman. This twist of face gives him that second chance to make things right with his son before he has to leave him forever. You won’t regret watching, but trust me, there will be tears.  

8. Home Alone 2

Okay who hasn’t dreamt of being lost in NYC on Christmas Eve, getting to stay in your own room at the Plaza, and befriending the cutest shop owner of one of the city’s most treasured toy stores. Yes, you may be running from two absent-minded burglars, but if you’re anything like Kevin McCallister, you’ll take it as a once in a lifetime adventure. 

9. The Polar Express (2004)

This is truly one of the most magical films of all time. No matter what your age, I promise you will appreciate this animated film. Tom Hanks is the conductor of a mystical train full of young children who want nothing more than to visit the North Pole. Everything about this movie is enchanting from the beautiful images to the incredible songs. Mark my words, Josh Groban’s Believe will be your shower tune for weeks following.