This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

With the presence of COVID-19, it is much harder for people to make plans and physically be together. Social distancing is a very important precaution that comes with the pandemic and that makes it really hard to see people. Of course, safety is a priority, but not seeing people for a long time is mentally damaging, especially when you are in a relationship. Being in a relationship definitely has its hardships, but being in a long-distance relationship has its own entirely different set of difficulties. I am currently in a long-distance relationship, and throughout my journey, I have gathered some ways to connect with your significant other if you are currently struggling.

Daily phone calls

These do not need to be long, but anytime either of you has a free moment, give your partner a call and let them know that you’re thinking about them! This should not be hard; in fact, it should be something both of you want to do. Hearing each other’s voices always brings back a stream of good memories, so checking in really helps if you’re really missing each other that day or having doubts about your relationship.

Date nights

Now I know virtual dates are not nearly as enticing as in-person ones, but trust me here; you get used to them, and eventually, you will look forward to them! Pick at least one night a week (it could be more than one on less busy weeks) when you can dedicate 3+ hours to your person. You can watch a movie together, play a game, or just talk! These dates bring you closer together since you can’t rely on physical proximity to do that. It definitely feels odd not being physically together at first but it does get better! You end up really enjoying that time together, especially when it’s been a while since you’ve really spoken to each other.

Don’t overshare

This is a huge one. I have made this mistake (and you probably will too): be mindful to not overshare. A lot of times in long-distance relationships, one person is having a better time than the other. Maybe one of you is at college and the other is still in high school, or maybe one of you is just better at being alone than the other. Be sure not to share too much if you know you are having a better time than your partner. For example, your partner has been working for the past four days and has been stuck at home because it’s way too hot outside. You, on the other hand, have been hanging out with your friends and loving your new classes. In this case, definitely share how you’ve been, but do not talk for more than a couple of minutes about how cool your classes are and how amazing your friends are. Your partner is having a bad time; be there for them and share later.

Send texts, GIFs, and TikToks

Although it’s not ideal, you’re not going to be able to talk to your partner on the phone all the time. Instead, texting is something that you can use to continuously connect with your partner. Sending a text message lets your partner know that you miss them, you’re thinking about them, and that they’re important enough to you that you took the time to write them a message, even if it’s a small thing. Some other ways to let your partner know that you’re there for them is to send GIFs and TikToks. Sending funny videos or pictures illustrates your love for them and also gives them something that makes them think of you. For example, anytime I see a cute couple on TikTok do something that I would totally do with my partner, I send it to her! Also, if there’s a cool challenge you want to try with them or some road trip you want to take, let them know! These are the things that keep you guys close no matter the distance between you.

Trips

Now, as much as you can make a relationship work with the distance, it is important to see each other in person every once in a while. With the current climate, I realize that this is not an easy thing to do right now, especially if you’re located states or countries away. Try to visit each other every three to four months (or less, depending on your situation) so you don’t forget what it’s like to physically be with and love each other. Intimacy is a huge part of a relationship and you don’t want that slipping away, so really try to visit each other as often as you can.

So, these are my tips and tricks for you! Every relationship is different, and some of these may not be best for some of you, but the most important thing is to take a small amount of time each day to appreciate your partner and show them that you love them. It is really easy for your mind to play tricks on you during long-distance relationships. You might think your partner is better off without you or that they’ve met someone else. Sending texts and calling them lets them know that there is nothing to worry about, and that is super important. Now, if you’re in a long-distance relationship, stop reading and give your partner a call; they miss you.

Aria Narang

Columbia Barnard '24

Hi! My name is Aria Narang and I absolutely love writing! I am a singer/songwriter and have written over 50 songs and also have a couple of them out on Spotify! I am very excited to write for Her Campus!