This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Some things in life are timeless. Certain styles, accessories, people, and ideas just cement themselves as ever-relevant, which is quite a feat. Gold jewelry belongs firmly within that class. In a word, it’s classic. 

Styles evolve and trends are recycled, but gold jewelry seems to have carved out a permanent place for itself in fashion. It’s even been used to delineate types of people (have you ever been asked if you’re a gold person or a silver person?). Simply put, gold jewelry is the perfect way to add a classic, versatile look to your jewelry box.

For low-key, simple looks, small hoops and simple chains are your friend! Going bolder begets chunkier jewelry, which is great to add a new dimension to an outfit. Bigger hoops are a favorite, and they make any look more interesting! Earrings with lacquered finishes are so fun and, depending on the piece, are statements in and of themselves. Ultimately, any piece of jewelry will add a new layer to your outfit, and gold is of the most versatile and classic of the myriad of choices.

Genuine gold jewelry is of course expensive, but if you go that route, rest assured that those pieces will last a lifetime. Besides, imitation is just as good, if not better, than the real thing. Having bought imitation gold jewelry for my whole life, I’ve found that it allows you to explore and find a wider range of pieces to try. Second-hand stores typically have stunning, diverse, and affordable selections. Thrifted gold earrings basically constitute my whole collection, and the pieces are so unique and fun! 

If you’re looking for an accessory that is diverse, timeless, versatile, and chic, look no further than gold. So much can be expressed with style, and gold jewelry is the perfect medium through which you can present yourself!

Clarissa Melendez

Columbia Barnard '24

Clarissa Melendez is a freshman at Barnard College, where she studies Art History. She loves books and movies and spends her time in Austin, Texas making collages and driving her 2003 Toyota 4Runner to the video store.