Things you can do solo in New York City.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Alone time is extremely underrated in a city like New York, where we’re always surrounded by the hustle and bustle of a lot people and a lot of things to do. However, once you’ve made a hundred friends and spent hours on end with a group of people, it is essential for everyone to indulge in a little bit of “me time”. I know it sounds intimidating at first, but once you try it there’s no looking back!

1. Explore the Met

Trying to stay with a group of people in an overwhelmingly crowded place like the Met is a challenge in itself, and it can turn very exhausting very quickly (especially when there is a conflict of interest). So put on your chic-est museum outfit and some confortable shoes and spend a few hours exploring the beauty the museum has to offer!

2. Shop

This one is pretty self-explanatory. Whether you want to come back home with a million shopping bags, or just window shop on Fifth Avenue, shopping solo in New York is as fun as it can get!

3. Reflect on life at Central Park

Central Park has some of the most ideal spots in the city for the ultimate reflection on life and down time. You can take a nap under a shady tree or indulge in some Danielle Steel novels; nothing makes for a better spot. 

4. Workout in some of the coolest gyms in the world

Take a spin class at Flywheel or Soul Cycle, sweat it out at a Bikram Yoga class or up your Latino game with Zumba classes at the Crunch Gym every weekend; NYC offers the best of any kind of workout you’d be interested in.

5. Grab a cup of coffee and some cookies.

Quit the library and get some work done or simply people watch or read a book. New York City has some really hip and trendy cafes that should be on everyone’s bucket list, even if that means that you have to stare out the window and imagine you’re in your own music video or TV show. 

Spending time on your own is essential for maintaining a healthy mind and soul and is also recommended if you want to get your creative juices running!!