Take a New York Study Break: Winter’s Best Museum Exhibitions

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

At this time of year, when homework starts to pile, we sometimes forget that outside of the library is a whole city filled with some of the greatest cultural institutions in the world. Whether you are an Art History expert or simply enjoy looking at art, a trip to a nearby art museum makes for a great study break on a Sunday afternoon, and can foster the intellectual stimulation that we need to get our work done! I think we should all set a goal to take a few weekends this semester and take advantage of the of our city’s cultural offerings. Here is a list of five must-see exhibitions happening this semester in Museums not too far from Morningside Heights.

The Metropolitan Musuem of Art

Matisse: In Search of True Painting

Through March 17th

This exhibition showcases vibrantly colored works by one of the most acclaimed modernist painters in history. Series and pairs of works that represent the same subject but differ in the use of media, tone, scale, line and paint application provide the viewer with an inside look into Matisse’s exploration of the possibilities and limitations for representing the world through the art of painting. 

1000 Fifth Avenue 
New York, New York 10028-0198
Phone: 212-535-7710

The Frick Collection

The Impressionist Line from Degas to Toulouse-Lautrec: Drawings and Prints from the Clark

March 12, 2013 to June 16, 2013

If you are like me and have a soft spot for impressionist art, this exhibition is for you.  This exhibition contains  60 drawings and prints by some of most influential impressionist artists of Nineteenth Century France, including Eduard Manet, Edgar Degas, Berthe Morisot, Claude Monet and Camille Pissarro. Don’t miss the opportunity to explore works from a critical moment in the cultural life of Nineteenth Century France!

1 East 70th Street (between Madison and Fifth Avenues)
New York, NY 10021

Whitney Museum of American Art

Sinister pop

November 15th-March 31st

I personally love art that has a touch of creepiness. If you do too, you should definitely go and see some at the Whitney! This exhibition showcases works from the Whitney’s Pop art collection that take a sinister spin on American consumer culture and popular entertainment.

945 Madison Avenue at 75th Street 
New York NY 10021

The Metropolitan Museum of Art 

Sleeping Eros

January 29–June 23, 2013

This exhibition, which showcases one of the finest bronze statues of the Greek God of love, Eros. Whether you have a hankering to see some fabulous classical art, or want to bring your significant other on a romantic date, this exhibition is for you.

1000 Fifth Avenue 
New York, New York 10028-0198
Phone: 212-535-7710

Want some more? Craving something abstract? Check out The Museum of Modern Art’s current exhibition, Inventing Abstraction. This exhibition contains abstract works of various media, which allows the viewer to contemplate the relationships between the wide ranges of art forms that experimented with abstraction in its years of inception.

Happy Museum Hopping!