Summer Apartment Hunting 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

With school almost over, it’s time to start looking for that perfect summer apartment. Before you sign a lease, make sure you take us up on some of these tried and true tips.

Hit up those listservs

The best apartments are always going to be those last minute steals from the randomest of fifth tier friends. Whether it’s your graduated sorority sister who just broke up with her boyfriend or your second cousin on your mom’s side who’s moving back to Westchester, it’s a great idea to closely monitor your Facebook groups and email chains for precisely this reason. Plus, if you didn’t find your apartment through social media, are you even a millennial?

High school friends

Of course, your first urge was to shack up with your college bestie. Unfortunately, she didn’t get an internship/wants to live in Long Island City/keeps really late and loud hours/has to go home to LA. All you bi-coastal or otherwise star-crossed Abbi and Ilana’s shouldn’t rule out reconnecting with an old friend. Sure, that girl who was in your eleventh grade theater class used to be a drama queen, but now she has Broadway connections and might even be able to sneak you into Hamilton! So, stay open to roommate wildcards because they just might come with a bunch of silver linings. 

Look for roomie red flags

Sure, they might seem like a good time at first…but unless you want to lose your safety deposit (and your mind?) keep your eyes open for these roommate red flags:

1) A full-time (as in 24/7) boyfriend/girlfriend

2) A more extensive wardrobe than Cher Horowitz

3) A no nights off approach to partying

3) Gross cleaning habits—or no cleaning habits

4) Uncontrollable bouts of rage directed at their sweet and unsuspecting roommate (we’ve all been there)

5) A penchant for blasting very loud electronic music—there’s a reason why Electric Zoo is just one weekend, once a year

6) Friends you just can’t stand

Websites are your friends

Including, but not limited to: Street Easy, Compass, and Craigslist. Welcome to the 21st century, where we can do the majority of our apartment hunting online! Just make sure you stay out of the personals section and always tell a friend your whereabouts if you’re going to check out a random open bedroom…this is real life, not New Girl.

Know your neighborhoods

And, last but not least, make sure you know your neighborhoods. Yorkville might seem fun and affordable now, but do you really want to feel like you’re in the Sig Ep basement every weekend night of your summer? And while FiDi is subway accessible and looks like Gotham, I personally prefer not to be surrounded by an aura of 90 hour weeks and intern despair. For a cool neighborhood that won’t break the bank, try Harlem, Alphabet City, Chinatown, Williamsburg, or Bushwick. 

Happy Apartment Hunting and HCXO! 

**Disclaimer: This article is a personal piece and does not necessarily reflect the views of Her Campus Media.