This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Now that the weather is finally warming up, how do you choose outfits to wear abroad so that you’re sure you won’t get too sweaty in the sun or too cold in the breeze?  Usually, the calendar says spring before the weather does, and so it’s a constant guessing game to pick out a comfortable outfit.  This week we are going to explore mid-season style through Jillian Cardona, one of BC 16’s savvy abroad dressers who is spending spring 2015 in Prague.  The tricky part about abroad is that even if you get used to predicting the weather in the city you’re studying in, when you travel on the weekends you are thrown into an entirely new climate and so you constantly have to create perfect harmony with layers.

One of the most important items for the in-between season is a light jacket.  Jillian has one that is a lightweight down vest in the central part but has contrasting wool sleeves.  The lightweight jacket is the first step to making it to the light and leisurely weather that the end of spring brings.  Jillian says, “It’s been the most useful thing that I own since it got too warm for my winter jacket.  It’s amazing for in-between weather because it’s warm enough that I won’t get cold but light enough that it also works for warmer weather.”  One of the most beneficial things about Jillian’s spring jacket is that it is also compact so it fits right into a bag if she wants to take it off while she’s touring around a city.  Additionally, Jillian was super practical in choosing navy as the color of her spring jacket.  Blue is overwhelmingly a favorite color and navy is a trustworthy and dependable option for a jacket (especially if it is an investment jacket) and so the ‘benefit of blue’ should not be overlooked when choosing a mid-season jacket.  This jean jacket it similar to Jillian’s because it is denim in the center and has knit cotton sleeves for an interesting contrast.  Another trend that I’ve seen in my time abroad is the giant cardigan.  Similar to the fall jacket, you can grab a giant cardigan on your way out of the house and wear it over essentially anything.  When it’s colder just put it over the layers you already have on and when it’s warmer out wear it over a thin t-shirt or fun tank.  Here are three options: one, two, and three.

Basics are definitely an easy option for in-between weather, and feel free to dress them up and make your outfits interesting with an accessory.  Whether it’s a thick infinity scarf over a sweater or a special pair of sunglasses, don’t be afraid to throw some accessories in.  Here, Jillian’s infinity scarf is a great way to liven up her leggings/short boots/comfy sweater combo.  Whether it’s fur, faux, or flowy, bring a scarf with you.  Additionally, metallic accessories are in.  Don’t be afraid to check out these or these the next time you go to grab a pair of sunglasses.  If you choose to go with basics, you can also liven up your outfit with footwear.  You can try out the all white sneaker fashion trend with some Stan Smith’s or Nike’s (also so comfortable for touring cities in), go for classic Supergas, or even try out the solid Adidas now available in 50 colors.

Sarah Fels

Columbia Barnard