Style Snapshot: Alice Mahoney

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Name: Alice Mahoney

School, Year: Barnard 2016

Major: Comparative Literature (French / Spanish lit) and a minor in Economics

How would you describe your style in three words? Clean, comfortable, polished

Who are your style inspirations? I really like the style of Karlie Kloss and Jourdan Dunn and aesthetics of Cushnie et Ochs, Elie Saab and Caroline Herrera. But ultimately, I think style is a very personal decision. I’ll get ideas for new pieces from figures I admire, but I have to put a look together for myself. If not, I won’t feel comfortable – I’ll feel like I’m wearing someone else’s clothes.

Where do you like to shop? My favorite store is definitely Zara. They make good design accessible in a way that I don’t think another store does (plus, they treat their workers better than their competitors). Other than that, I do most of my shopping online. I tend to think of a specific piece that I want and then shop the internet to find the best version of that item.

What is a piece of style advice you live by? Less is more.

What fashion tips/tricks have you picked up from living in New York? Being such a metropolitan city, New York really gives you the chance to glimpse great street style every day. I definitely keep an eye out to see how trends are developing in real people’s closets, so in a way I’m constantly looking to learn new tips. But, being from Los Angeles, the most useful trick I’ve learned from the street style around me is how to dress for the cold!