Stuck in My Head: Reptar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Sometimes, we let go of good, or really good things. Song after song (think Katie Perry), romantic comedy after romantic comedy, we hear about this very elusive character: “the one that got away.”

As Valentine’s Day approaches, this truism may especially resonate with you. If your lousy/emotionally-confused guy said arrivederci to you recently, then you are most definitely nodding your head saying, “I am that good thing you let slip away, dammit!” 

I find myself guilty of being the one that stupidly let go of a special someone. Fortunately, we rekindled our flame this weekend. After all, our fling a few months ago was truly divine. I was captivated by him, just listening to him all day long. And some more. Then, it stopped for reasons I have no explanation for. 

Okay, confession time….forgive me (father for I have sinned?)

I’m not alluding to a specific person, but rather the song, “Stuck in my ID” by Reptar. Reptar? No, not the green monster from Rugrats but rather the up-and-coming band hailing from Athens, Georgia. The group, comprised of four college guys, is known for their afro-disco beat. They deliver a crisp, fun sound not unlike The Talking Heads or Animal Collective.

I woke up Saturday morning nearly humming their song’s irresistibly catchy
tune; a literal wake-up call for me to rediscover this former music love of mine. Replete with vibrant synths and hammering vocals, this song will launch you into a smooth body bop. And I can’t fail to mention the electric force created through the bass riff and the drum’s pulse. The band undeniably accomplishes what it set out to do, “first and foremost, make people dance.”

Take the time to check this brilliant song out, perhaps you’ll fall head over heels like I did. One caveat with this romance? I doubt it will lead to flowers waiting for you in the lobby of your building. 

later musicphiles!

xo

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!