Stuck in My Head: Katy Perry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

Katy Perry…what can I even say? She became an overnight sensation with a song about kissing girls and now is one of our generation’s most successful musical talents.
From her humble beginnings and debatable one-hit-wonderness, Perry has now joined a very exclusive, two member-only club. She and the late Michael Jackson are the only two artists to have charted five number one singles from the same album. #wahwahweewah.

It’s clear that not even a divorce from ex-hubby actor, Russell Brand can stand in this blue-haired buxom songstress’ way. Perry has been marching strongly on as seen in her latest blockbuster hit song, “Part of Me.”
Donned in a full American Marine ensemble, she conveys just how resilient she is-a metaphor that perhaps could not be more conspicuous if she tried.

As we analyze her full-length album, Teenage Dream: The Full Confection, it interestingly appears to mirror Perry’s emotional state alla The Stages of Grief. Perry has moved from Stage 3 “Anger” as noted in “Part of Me”  to stage 4’s “Loneliness and Reflection” in her newest single, “Wide Awake.” Perry is reflective, deep, and obviously still in pain from her “fall from cloud 9.” 

The song is a great listen if you are looking for a mellow beat or  feeling particularly confused about a spring fling that didn’t go as planned. Though, “Wide Awake” will not get you rocking out and thinking about your “epic” moments from last Friday night, it will definitely become Perry’s next top-hit. Don’t say I didn’t tell you so!

Later, music-philes. 

Toby Milstein

Columbia Barnard

Hi my name is Toby Milstein and I'm a student at Barnard College at Columbia University!