This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Columbia Barnard chapter.

“Being bald is super rad” – Hank (my cat niece), 2020.

Sphynxes get a bad rap for being “creepy”. Or, perhaps it’s the term “bald” that turns people off — I can’t say I love a no-haired-40-year-old man. While I do own two furry cats and love them greatly, my love for wrinkly sphynxes will never dissipate. Whether you’re allergic to fur, don’t want to clean too much, or are just looking for another fun quirk to add to your Instagram feed, here are just a few reasons sphynx cats deserve your loving home.

They will always warm your feet.

While they don’t have fur, sphynx skin actually gets quite warm, much like a human’s. They practically act like a heater all year long. In fact, don’t even invest in a radiator this winter, you can just invest in a new kitty.

They love to cuddle.

I wouldn’t say they’re biologically sweeter than furry cats (although I have met some mean furry cats and never a mean sphynx), but they do have a hard time keeping their internal temperature warm. Especially in the winter, their lack of fur coat means they love to snuggle up to you at night. If you’re looking for a snuggle buddy without needing a DTR talk, sphynxes are for you. 

They’re a great ice breaker. 

You’ll always win two truths and a lie by playing the “I have a cat with no hair and no I don’t shave him” card. It’s also a great answer to the “what’s a fun fact about you?” question that inevitably comes up at every interview. 

They’re so clean! 

You’ll never have to worry about getting fleas from your kitties because there’s no fur for them to get bugs in. Sphynxes are also 100% self-cleaning!

They actually want to wear cute sweaters.

If you’ve been struggling to take matching Halloween costume pics with your cat, you’ll love having a sphynx. Their internal temperature is never quite warm enough, so yes, they do love wearing that pumpkin sweater. 

They’re completely hypoallergenic. 

Now, you can change your first question on a date from “Are you allergic to cats?” to “How much do you love cats?” And yeah, go ahead and invite all your friends over. I promise, they’ll love them.

If you’re still not convinced, here’s a quote from a satisfied Sphynx owner:

“I literally took 44 pictures of them today. And my most liked Instagram picture is of them. They’re making me famous, and I love it.” 

Feed your passion, eat the rich, and buy a Sphynx cat.

Kyrie Woodard

Columbia Barnard '23

is originally a Washingtonian turned New Yorker. Her hobbies include talking about her cats, Bobby and Greg, and drawing macroeconomic graphs.